Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,611   Online: 1264

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

eBay 360mm convertible lens without mention that the flange or threaded ring is missi

Symmar Schneider-Kreuznach 1:5, 6/360mm 6742623 11x14!!
    Item number: 350069051371

Dear electricmonkie,

I am interested in buying this lens. Am I correct in understanding that it is missing the flange or threaded ring that holds it to a lensboard? See picture #4. I think the flange or threaded ring should go on the threads showing in picture #4.

Thank you,

John

Hello,

Thank you for your post. Please note that I am not an expert in the Professional Photography field. That being said, and provided that what knowledge and understanding I have is sufficient to your needs, based on the item and what I know of it, you are correct, the 'flange' is missing on this unit. What you see in the images is the exact item, as it really is, with no addition parts or accessories beyond the lens caps which are shown.

Sincerely,
    Vyncent

Electric Monkie

It must not be Vyncent's fault if he is not a expert.
    Just wanted to warn folks of a mistake I almost made.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, John, it is better to buy the lens without retaining ring at a good price or not to buy it without retaining ring at a good price? I mean, it takes a standard flange or ring and they're not that hard to find or expensive.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dan,

My objection was that the lens was described as complete and functional. Had I not been looking to see if there was a ring I would not have known it was missing. They answered me, but at this point they have not updated the auction for the rest of the world.

I also have a hard time with sellers who dismiss their error by saying it is not their specialty. If they feel qualified to say it is good and complete, I feel they should know that much. One buyer's opinion.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, out of curiosity, have you ever seen a 360 Symmar up close and personal? They're frickin' huge, what are you planning to use it on? I use both a Symmar and Componon, and the 120mm filter size is a bit of a pain as well. Mounting would be trivial, either using hot melt glue, or other alternative methods, if you can get the lens cheap enough.

erie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If they are going to say complete then it should be complete with the flange or retaining ring. What good would a canon or nikon lens be if you had a hard time mounting it. I have bought large format lenses without the flange, but I was told up front it did not have it.

Sure, it's easy to pick up the phone and call adam at SK grimes and order some retaining rings, but that isn't the point. Complete should mean complete.

Mike.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, a 12X20 coverage lens for $199 bucks. That guy should be horse whipped. Oh, the little thingy where the cable release goes was broken off sometime and replaced with an aftermarket one that will NEVER break. Imprisonment!! What a horror.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a sizable dent in the front ring, so I doubt a filter would go on it and first bid is $199.97. It has an old compound shutter with no mention as to whether it fires or not. No mention of it at all, yet in detail of the lens itself. That tells me it doesn't work, and they know do the road they can say they never said it did work. Quote from add "Item Functionality Functional (all tested functions worked)" I can hear it now "We never tested the shutter".

Anyway, $199.97+ for cells only is what you would be bidding on, is it worth that kind of money? I would have to do some research because I not sure if it is or not.

Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    John, out of curiosity, have you ever seen a 360 Symmar up close and personal? They're frickin' huge, what are you planning to use it on? I use both a Symmar and Componon, and the 120mm filter size is a bit of a pain as well. Mounting would be trivial, either using hot melt glue, or other alternative methods, if you can get the lens cheap enough.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have read the listing four times now. I see nothing misleading in the text. Would "somebody" please point out the misleading information specific to this listing.

Maybe he deleted it already?
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The dent, a piece of oak, a hole saw and a dowel and 5 mins at most would obviate that problem. at worst, a barrel lens, at best a CLA (which you should assume all used shutters need anyway), Paul Ebel or Carol Miller can take care of that for far less than $100. (or, about 2 hours to dissasemble, clean, reassemble and lube, if you're a novice, I can overhaul a compound in about an hour, haven't met one that was irrepairable if all the pieces are there yet)

Heck, I'd consider buying it to have a shutter for my Componon, if I didnt' already have a DB mount for it, it should be a 5FS compound, huge front and rear threads, perfect for hacking (or "experimenting", if you're more PC)

As noted, a lens that cover 12x20 (my experience is 16x20, at least for contact prints). well, if somebody here buys it and decides they dont' want the shutter, I'd be game.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not saying there is text that is misleading to me. But in my opinion and having been burned a couple of times on "the bay", someone that gives that kind of info about part of the item and doesn't address a basic question as to whether the shutter works, is avoiding something. Plus a question was asked and it was not posted to the add.

Just my opinion, but there seems to be a lot of fluff in this add. Then again, I am no one you know to be trusted either, so make your own decisions and take opinions as you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    I have read the listing four times now. I see nothing misleading in the text. Would "somebody" please point out the misleading information specific to this listing.

Maybe he deleted it already?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin