Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,532,000   Online: 1196

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Filmholders for 20x24"

Does anybody make filmholders for 20x24" that are not made of wood. Preferably somthing similar to the standard double sided Lisco filmholders.
    If a man does not keep in step with his fellows it may be because he hears a different drummer... Thoreau

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Unless there are some X-ray film holders in the 20x24 size, I don't think 20x24 holders were ever made on a regular basis. It would all be custom work, and it is much easier to work with wood for small quantities. For the Lisco/Fidelity style it would require molds for the plastic resins, and these molds, even years ago, would have cost thousands and thousands of dollars for only a limited return on the investment. 20x24 was NEVER more than a niche format for film, if that. I think 11x14 was the largest "standard" size for which universal film holders were made and would interchange with each other. Calumet Photographic owns the company that produced Fidelity and Lisco film holders, and they would be the place to inquire if there were ever any 20x24 plastic (style) holders ever made by those companies. If you are concerned about the weight of the film holder, I think the plastic (type) would be heavier than a well-designed wood holder. I have many 5x7 wood holders that are considerably lighter than the plastic ones.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    They made 14x17 holders for the medical industry. So I'm pretty sure the standard did go to 14x17.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    They made 14x17 holders for the medical industry. So I'm pretty sure the standard did go to 14x17.
    As I recall there actuall was an ANSI standard for 14x17 and that was the largest Fidelity holder made. Usually, the 20x24 camera maker makes the camera for a specific holder. If not their own make, it will likley be Alan Brubaker's film holders.

http://www.filmholders.com/filmho1.html

Good luck.

Mike

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    There are numerous filmholder manufacturers that will make 20x24 holders. S&S, Lotus, and Chamonix to name a few. AWB is not the only game in town. There is also a new company that is just starting to make filmholders on the west coast. My apologies to the owner because the name escapes me.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The name that escaped me is Barry Young of The Young Camera Co. from Seattle

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Correct, there are several "custom" filmholder makers that will craft 20x24 filmholders to order. That was not the question of the OP. He wanted to know if there were ever any made in plastic materials like the common Lisco and Fidelity brands of sheet film holders.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I was responding to Mike's post, not the OP's. AWB holders are of wood construction. He did make a few wet plate holders out of aluminum. But I don't recall him ever making an all plastic type filmholder. Unless this is something new that he is producing now. I just wanted the OP to know there are numerous filmholder makers out there and he is not limited in choice to just AWB holders. For a 20x24 holder he is obviously limited to wood since the ansi standard only went to 14x17. Unless of course he can find someone to machine the parts for a holder out of plastic. It would have to be a very stable plastic and the costs would be astronomical I'm sure. But if you insist that we only answer the OP's question and not elaborate on the subject then I will oblige and answer...no.
    Last edited by RobertP; 06-28-2008 at 12:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    IF
    the basic components of plastic holders are from the same stock, cut to length appropriate to the film size
    AND the molder of that stock can be found
    AND he/it still holds the molds
    one might purchase a minimum quantity- a "run" -at probably several thousand dolores.
    And cut and assemble any size(s) desired.
    I doubt that new tooling is affordable, even from the Asian Giant- but ????
    Who has game?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin