Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,621   Online: 1279

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I use an Ilex #4 with my 19" red dot. Make sure to purchase a shutter tester and calibrate the shutter. You should calibrate every shutter you use especially when shooting 12x20 with the cost of film. I put pencil marks on the shutter dial for the speeds e.g. 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc. All Ilex shutters vary in actual speed from the markings on the dial regardless of when they have last been CLAed. A good service technician will give you a calibration sheet when a shutter is CLAed, but Ilex shutters may vary with use or age. You should always fire an Ilex shutter a couple of times at the desired speed before exposure to get the most accurate exposure. Copal shutters are more accurate but are much more expensive. Pay someone to do the mounting. Other posts here mention a couple of options.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by sdivot View Post
    Hi,
    I'm trying to figure out the best shutter for my "new" 19" Apo Artar barrel lens. In a previous post someone said it would work with an Ilex 4. And I can't find it, but I think I saw somewhere that a copal 3 would work as well. I'm getting ready to use the 12x20 I bought recently, and as soon as the doc gives me the go-ahead to lift the weight (I recently had a lung transplant), I'm going to go for it.
    Also, can I put the lens into the shutter myself, or does it take some special skill/tools?
    Can someone enlighten me on this issue?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

SK Grimes has a list of lenses and shutters. Their first choice for the 19" Artar is a Copal #3 shutter.

http://www.skgrimes.com/fits/index.htm
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    speaking as someone who has written ad copy for the last quarter century, while S.K. Grimes, et al all do great work, remember that "advertising" is intended to separate you from your money, for all of the above points mentioned, a Packard is still the best and most cost effective solution (as it can be used with all the other barrel lenses you're likely to start collecting once you have one)

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Grimes folks mounted my 19" Artar into a Copal 3 shutter.

It is ever so much more elegant to be able to set the iris on f64, open the shutter and count off the seconds... then close the shutter.

More elegant by far, than it was to slip my lens sock shutter over the barrel mounted Artar, set the iris diaphragm to f64, slip off the sock shutter and count off the seconds, then slip my lens sock shutter back over the barrel mounted Artar.

Can't see any difference in the negatives, But...
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the replies. Ok, I'm thinking of bidding on a packard shutter on ebay. It is a 4 inch shutter with a 2 inch opening. Here's the thing though: I don't really know anything about these shutters at all. How do they work? How are they mounted? What are the speeds?
    Any insight/advice is appreciated.
    Steve (The Packard Ignoramous)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin