Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,934   Posts: 1,557,028   Online: 1234

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shutters for 19" Apo Artar?

Hi,
    I'm trying to figure out the best shutter for my "new" 19" Apo Artar barrel lens. In a previous post someone said it would work with an Ilex 4. And I can't find it, but I think I saw somewhere that a copal 3 would work as well. I'm getting ready to use the 12x20 I bought recently, and as soon as the doc gives me the go-ahead to lift the weight (I recently had a lung transplant), I'm going to go for it.
    Also, can I put the lens into the shutter myself, or does it take some special skill/tools?
    Can someone enlighten me on this issue?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Packard, Sinar, Hat, darkslide, any of the above will leave you coffee money, as well as gas money.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Epat,
    I get your point, but at $7 and up per sheet of 12x20 film, I'd like to have something a bit more accurate than my hat. Otherwise, I would probably use just that. I know there are folks out there who can get pretty close using hats, lenscaps, hands, etc. But I'm not one of those folks, not yet at least. I'd rather practice that method with 4x5 film, or something a bit cheaper.
    Thanks for the reply,
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve,
    If you shoot at around f64 or so (typical for ULF, at least for me) and use any filtratration, it's not to terribly hard to add an ND filter to the pack and get your exposures into the 4 sec range, I'd think even if you were 1/2 second off, it wouldn't matter. (though they do have this thing called a stopwatch..) Packards can be a pretty consistent 1/15th or so with a little practice. I have my 19" mounted on a 4x4 lensboard, using a 4x4 to sinar adapter, I just put it in front of the Sinar shutter and fire away, prior to that, lenscaps and packards worked just fine.

erie

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    Steve,
    If you shoot at around f64 or so (typical for ULF, at least for me) and use any filtratration, it's not to terribly hard to add an ND filter to the pack and get your exposures into the 4 sec range, I'd think even if you were 1/2 second off, it wouldn't matter.
    erie
    A reminder that at 4 seconds computed exposure, you are into reciprocity failure. IF you don't compensate, being off by half second at 4 seconds computed makes no differrence - you're underexposed. Sure the dense areas are fine but the Zone III and below are affected....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    With a hat etc you can flick it of and back on for the count of "Beep Beep" as in what roadrunner would say
    1/4 second
    I always seem to get .22 seconds

I don't actually say beep beep

for 1/2 second I do actually say to myself "Miss Izzz"
    I usually get .44 -.52 seconds

Good "Miss sis sippi" for 1 second
    .87-1.13 seconds

anything longer than that I count at a good clip 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, 3 mississippi...
    always right on time. I just did it and got 9.97 seconds. Next I got 10.89 but it felt slow
    9.75 seconds

I don't know what the tolerances are for shutters but they're probably not exact and missing the time by 1/8 probably isn't going to ruin a photo

Don't practice on film, practice on a stopwatch for ten minutes.
    At least so that if you have to you can and feel confident doing so

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sdivot View Post
    Hi,
    I'm trying to figure out the best shutter for my "new" 19" Apo Artar barrel lens. In a previous post someone said it would work with an Ilex 4. And I can't find it, but I think I saw somewhere that a copal 3 would work as well. I'm getting ready to use the 12x20 I bought recently, and as soon as the doc gives me the go-ahead to lift the weight (I recently had a lung transplant), I'm going to go for it.
    Also, can I put the lens into the shutter myself, or does it take some special skill/tools?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Yes, the lens will fit into a Copal 3, but I bought mine already in the shutter. It might take someone like SK Grimes to put it in there, you can either call or email them and ask about it.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi,
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Mine is mounted in an Alphax #4 shutter that works very well. Check www.SKGrimes.com or www.LensN2Shutter.com for some good information about having your Artar mounted in a shutter.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hi,
    I'm trying to figure out the best shutter for my "new" 19" Apo Artar barrel lens. In a previous post someone said it would work with an Ilex 4. And I can't find it, but I think I saw somewhere that a copal 3 would work as well. |||||||||
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Hi Steve;

I would definitely have it mounted into a Copal 3 shutter (Ilexs are OK IMO but not as nice as Copal). It's not just a matter of screwing in the front and rear parts as the shutter diameter is different than the barrel mount. Secondly the separation of the front and rear groups is absolutely critical and this has to measured off the barrel mount and reproduced (with shims possibly, trimming) exactly into the shutter. It takes some work. but you'll have a reliable shutter and a great lens in the end. I would second using Grimes for this job!

-Richard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There isn't any big inter-lens (leaf) shutter that has a speed slower than 1 second. (Unless it is dirty). For the apertures normally used for ULF, considering the depth-of-field requirements usually wanted, as well as the reciprocity effect of shooting at longer than 1 second speeds, it would seem to be almost useless to have a 19" lens mounted in a leaf-shutter. Most long lenses are used with Packard type shutters, which, when used with a stopwatch can be very accurate. When you get into the 4 to 20 second (or longer) exposure timing range, the minor variance in hand-to-eye coordination of watching the stop watch and opening and closing the shutter is miniscule. Years ago (late 1970s, early 1980s) I did a lot of catalog photography using hot lights and tungsten-balanced Ektachrome in 8x10. All my exposures were longer than 1 second. I always got consistently exposed transparencies...and we all know that transparency film has the least margin for error in exposure.

Also, a consideration in the case of your 19" Artar, is that the iris aperture in the barrel mount for the Artar has more blades, and produces a more "round" hole than the current Copal shutters, thus giving you more pleasing out-of-focus effects. (Bokeh).

Even with my extensive personal shooting in 5x7 these days, I find that many times I need to expose a negative for longer than the 1 second maximum available to me on all my shuttered lenses.

If you are shooting in a studio with electronic flash, then the exposure time is determined by the flash duration, and not by how long the shutter is open, thus a Packard-type shutter with flash sync is all you need.
    Last edited by PHOTOTONE; 06-27-2008 at 12:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin