Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,486   Online: 1002

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9793 View Post
    Sandy,
    won't Ziatypes be good too.
    I have been doing 8x20 palladium printing with Na2 and i will throw in a couple of drops of platinium. I use a glass rod because it takes so much less chemicals and I can control it easier.
    my formula is:
    25 Drops FeOx
    22 drops PD
    3 Drops Pt
    0-7 Drops Na2 (10%)
    I guess from that you could figure out something.

michael andersen
    Michael,

Yes, Ziatype is an interesting process but still a lot more expensive in terms of the metal salts than a palladium or platinum toned kallitype, especially if you take into consideration the fact that you only use the pt.pd. toner on keeper prints. Also, although I have not done any serious cost comparison of Ziatype versus regular DOP palladium I believe that both are rougly equivalent in expense since the main expense involved in both is the palladium salt.

In making 20X24 prints by any of the metal salt processes I have personally found that it is better to apply a fairly heavy coating rather than skimp. I coat 20X24 prints with a 4" Richeson brush and put on a total of 10-12 ml of solution. With this much coating solution you have to brush a bit longer to get rid of pooling but this does not have any negative effect with papers with a good size. I personally have had very poor results coating large prints witha glass rod and find the Richeson much more effective.

Sandy King

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I agree, I use a 3" Richeson for 8x20 and 12x20. I tried the puddle pusher one time and immediately went to the brush. Just remember to wet the brush and squeegee to a fine point before you use it. This will help keep you from losing solution that would be absorbed by a dry brush.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin