Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,815   Online: 1171

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

20x24" pt/pd prints -hands on experience?

-looking for feedback and pictures?
    -any cost calculation available?

thanks for your input,
    ...george

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lynux View Post

thanks for your input,
    ...george
    PM Zebra on APUG, he does 20 x 24 in camera negs pt/pd.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    George,

As THE MAN DAVE WOOTEN! says I am crazy enough to have attacked this. Your timing is excellent as I printed up several negs today on Fabriano Artistico to put gum layers on tomorrow. PM me your email and I will send you some pictures. I'm no guru though so adjust your expectations accordingly! In general I haven't broken down the cost to a per print number though. If you shoot in camera negatives the film can run from anywhere around $12 a shot (Efke,haven't checked this price in a while so that's somewhat of a memory guess) to $23 dollars a shot (FP4). I took a pass on the TMY order at Glazer's at $32 a shot. Chemicals don't really stack up against those numbers and besides I don't want to know!! Suffice it to say you gotta really want to photograph what you point that beast at!

All that being said when it comes out right its addictive.

Monty
    aka Zebra

ps.

how ya' livin' Dave? I'll be in Vegas for work the 17th thru the 20th. Any chance we can cross paths? If you wanna bring your mom down for a game let me know and its a done deal.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
    George,

As THE MAN DAVE WOOTEN! says I am crazy enough to have attacked this. Your timing is excellent as I printed up several negs today on Fabriano Artistico to put gum layers on tomorrow. PM me your email and I will send you some pictures. I'm no guru though so adjust your expectations accordingly! In general I haven't broken down the cost to a per print number though. If you shoot in camera negatives the film can run from anywhere around $12 a shot (Efke,haven't checked this price in a while so that's somewhat of a memory guess) to $23 dollars a shot (FP4). I took a pass on the TMY order at Glazer's at $32 a shot. Chemicals don't really stack up against those numbers and besides I don't want to know!! Suffice it to say you gotta really want to photograph what you point that beast at!

All that being said when it comes out right its addictive.

Monty
    aka Zebra

ps.

how ya' livin' Dave? I'll be in Vegas for work the 17th thru the 20th. Any chance we can cross paths? If you wanna bring your mom down for a game let me know and its a done deal.
    Done Deal, Thanks Monty!

Just back from a week at the Formulary-Sandy King and Carbon printing class. Oh - me- 0h - My! I advise all if you get a chance to take the class at the Formulary, just do it!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    George, As even further proof of the man's mental stability, he even shoots 20x24 glass ambrotypes/tintypes. But he does it all very well. Robert.....Hey Stripes, thought you were heading up this way? Hope all is well.
    Last edited by RobertP; 06-29-2008 at 07:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Robert,

Yeah I should be up there on the 29th of July. Still not sure if I am coming in day of or the night before on the 28th. I'll keep you posted as soon as I know.

Dave,

bring some of those carbon prints down with you okay!

later

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Done Deal, Thanks Monty!

Just back from a week at the Formulary-Sandy King and Carbon printing class. Oh - me- 0h - My! I advise all if you get a chance to take the class at the Formulary, just do it!
    Dave, is carbon addictive or what? I could not get up to the Formulary workshop but I was able to take the one Vaughn put on in Hayward, CA. My negs were not right for the process but even so the prints and relief we got was amazing. I have two more prints that have to be sent to me and I can't wait to see them. Now that I have stopped building cameras I can't wait to get good at 11x14 and 8x20 carbon!

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jim it is a very enjoyable process, I am shooting some new negs to print in carbon and to get my skill level off the bottom floor, this will take some serious concentration on my part. It is quite fun and is labor intensive and I certainly recommend taking a class from someone knowledgeable and dedicated to the process. Sandy has some prints in his portfolio that are jaw droppers! If that doesnt sell you, making carbon tissue and getting to get your hands in the glop certainly will! It s a good thing.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Jim it is a very enjoyable process, I am shooting some new negs to print in carbon and to get my skill level off the bottom floor, this will take some serious concentration on my part. It is quite fun and is labor intensive and I certainly recommend taking a class from someone knowledgeable and dedicated to the process. Sandy has some prints in his portfolio that are jaw droppers! If that doesnt sell you, making carbon tissue and getting to get your hands in the glop certainly will! It s a good thing.
    Dave, I too have to re-think my negatives at some point. I'm going to play with the sensitizer first and see if I can make things work. Vaughn is a great teacher and he has some prints that make you speechless. I can't wait to get into the glop and eventually multi layered pin registered carbon prints. Check out the carbon forum for some good advice. Steep learning curve and very time consuming process but so is ULF! No problem for me. Keep me posted on your progress.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lynux View Post

thanks for your input,
    ...george

Making 20x24's is certainly possible, I just made my first 30x40's for a client. That is him drying his print :-)

For a 20x24 I use about 6ml of metal (12ml+- total solution) per print--you do the math on costs.

A few things to consider....

1. Use a strong enough paper, like arches platine.
    2. Use flat bottom trays that have extra room in them so the paper doesn't rock back and forth against the sides...
    3. Practice coating the paper with cyanotype and do some photograms, this will help you get used to coating and handling the big paper and you'll have fun with photograms...

Good Luck!

Corey
    Last edited by boyooso; 07-01-2008 at 06:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin