Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,527   Posts: 1,572,390   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

20x24" contact printing frame

Does anyone know about who produces a 20x24" contactprinting frame ?
    If a man does not keep in step with his fellows it may be because he hears a different drummer... Thoreau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NuArc makes them that big and bigger. You may find them used from old print shops, I see one on Ebay every once in a while. I even have one about that size in my basement I got from work. You could even make one from the copyboard of an old process camera.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photographer's Formulary has the greatest deals on contact printing frames. I have their 20x24 model. I could not have built it myself for what they charged me for it, especially once you consider labor time! 20x24 was only $100. Smaller sizes are less of deal, but still incredibly priced.

Their frames (at least my huge one) do not have the traditional long rotating springs on the back, but heavy duty clips around the perimeter. I suppose this could technically affect the contact of the film and the paper in the middle of the frame, but I have had no problems doing cyanotypes and contact prints so far.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-09-2008 at 06:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkenberg View Post
    Does anyone know about who produces a 20x24" contactprinting frame ?
    Lotus View Camera (Austria). I have their 12"x10", expensive but extremly well made. The spring back is very strong indeed. See link:
    http://www.linhofstudio.com/products...ng_Frames.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Lotus makes the best ones and the shipping from Austria to Denmark will not be to bad.

Unfortunately for those in the US excahnge rates make Lotus frames prohibitively expensive. I am glad I bought mine almost 10 years ago.

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Doug Kennedy
    PO Box 3433
    Lake City, CA 96115
    530-279-6228
    dbkennedy@frontiernet.net

Doug makes very nice frames at a very reasonable price in my opinion. He deviates from the standard design a little bit, but I've been nothing but pleased with my 23X26 frame!

Corey

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have various frames, but for huge work, I just use a sheet of plywood (I don't know what they call it in Denmark) and a sheet of heavy glass (with no UV coating). For Arches Platine and most other papers the weight of the glass is sufficient. I have not had a problem for lack of spring steel pressure. This works both in my home-made UV light box as well as on my roof for free UV.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Second the vote for the Doug Kennedy frame. Mine works great, it's an 11x14.
    Neal

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Someone should do a side by side comparison of these frames. Anyone dare to compare the Lotus and the Doug Kennedy frames. Do any of You know if the 20x24" frames are exactly that size in the glass or if it is bigger. I use a 11x14" for 8x10" prints on 10x12" paper. I guess what I am asking is, if it is possible to fit a 22x26" (or 24x28") paper in these frames.
    If a man does not keep in step with his fellows it may be because he hears a different drummer... Thoreau

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Normally speaking, the "size" of the printing frame indicates the maximum size sheet of photo paper it will take, and the largest film negative it will take. A 20x24 frame "should" take a piece of photo paper of 20x24" size. If you want to print on a sheet of 24x28" paper, then you need to have a custom frame made for that size.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin