Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,531   Online: 1052

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Current ULF film holders - weights and prices

With new ULF film holder standards beginning to coalesce (see ULF film holder standards in FEEDBACK and DISCUSSION on 1-11-08), I thought it might now be useful to put together some sort of list showing weights and prices of the currently available ULF holders.

So far, I have compiled some information on some of seven manufacturers: S&S, Lotus, AWB, Chamonix, Young, Ebony and Tachihara. I've skipped Wisner and other holders not in production. Ebony and Tachihara each offer one size but the others appear to offer most, or all, sizes.

Quality Camera (S&S), Lotus, AWB, Ebony, and Tachihara list prices only. I still need the weights. I also need to contact Hugo Zhang about Chamonix and Barry Young for his holder information, as I have nothing at the moment.

I welcome any information you ULFers might have that would help me fill in the blanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Rob,

I am away from home now but will send you some weight information on S%S holders when I return.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Vinnedge View Post
    With new ULF film holder standards beginning to coalesce (see ULF film holder standards in FEEDBACK and DISCUSSION on 1-11-08), I thought it might now be useful to put together some sort of list showing weights and prices of the currently available ULF holders.

So far, I have compiled some information on some of seven manufacturers: S&S, Lotus, AWB, Chamonix, Young, Ebony and Tachihara. I've skipped Wisner and other holders not in production. Ebony and Tachihara each offer one size but the others appear to offer most, or all, sizes.

Quality Camera (S&S), Lotus, AWB, Ebony, and Tachihara list prices only. I still need the weights. I also need to contact Hugo Zhang about Chamonix and Barry Young for his holder information, as I have nothing at the moment.

I welcome any information you ULFers might have that would help me fill in the blanks.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Thanks, Sandy. I was actually going to try to contact you today.

Rob

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Rob,

Are you seeking manufacturers' specs, or actual measured weights from owners? If the latter, you might also ask people to include the type of wood used in the construction of their holders. AWB uses a number of different types of wood, with different densities, and I believe S&S makes some walnut holders along with their standard cherry. Given my own experience, I think you'll see some variability in weight, even with holders made from the same type of wood from the same manufacturer. If you're looking for owner input, I can supply the weights for my 7x17 walnut AWB holders, a 14x17 cherry S&S holder, and a 10x12 cherry S&S holder.

Also, are you only looking for ULF holder weights, or would you also be interested in other ELF (Exotic Large Format) formats like 4x10, 5x12, 7x11, Whole Plate, etc.? I have several 4x10 cherry Lotus holders as well as one from AWB.

Finally, and I'm not trying to make this more work for you, but you might also include weights of the standard "mass-produced" holders where available for comparison. I'm referring to Fidelity holders in 11x14 and 14x17 and Lisco holders in 4x10, for example. I know none of these are in current production, but they are/were the standard in these format when they were being made (and I've managed to pick-up a few new 14x17 Fidelity holders over the last couple years). I used to have several 11x14 Fidelity holders that I sold at a ridiculously low price by current standards. I do have several of the (VERY heavy) 14x17 Fidelity holders and a couple of the 4x10 Lisco holders if you'd like those weights as a reference for your database.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Kerry,

Thank you for tuning in here. I would be very interested in compiling all the information you mention - ULF, ELF, and the older offerings from Fidelity and Lisco.

Regarding weights, I would prefer to have manufacturers' specs, but realize as you do that weights naturally vary from holder to holder, given the nature of the material and hands-on fabrication. It would be useful to hear input from owners as well. I'd love to hear what you have.

As far as material goes, I get the impression that cherry is usually the wood of choice for most manufacturers and assume that walnut and other exotics are usually heavier. To be thorough, I suppose it should all be included.

Thanks again,

Rob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Rob,

Here is information for Chamonix ULF weights and prices. Since US dollar has been going down steadily aganst Chinese RMB, I will just leave the price in RMB.

Film holders weight and price
    7x17 930g RMB 3000
    8x20 1130g RMB 3600
    14x17 1490g RMB 3800
    16x20 1960g RMB 4500
    20x24 3390g RMB 5000

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Excellent. Thank you, Hugo.

Do you plan to make other sizes, such as 11X14, 12X20, whole plate, and ELF sizes that Kerry mentions?

Thanks again,

Rob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Rob,

Chamonix does have whole plate holders for $160 each, but I don't have a scale to weigh it at this moment. It is going to make some 11x14 and 12x20 holders next year.

Hugo

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Rob,

I weighed my ULf holders. These are actual weights to the nearest 1/4 oz.

I have two styles of AWB 7x17 holders. Both are walnut.

The first style (year of manufacture = 1998) have metal darkslides with plastic pulls. I have four of this style that weigh between 2 lb. 4.25 oz. and 2 lb. 5.5 oz. Average weight of the four is 2 lb. 4.875 oz.

The second style, which are newer (but not dated), have plastic darkslides with wooden pulls. They both weigh 1 lb. 14.25 oz. - which is very light for 7x17 holders

I also have a no name mahogany 7x17 holder (painted black) that I purchased off eBay for $179 (I think they are selling for $199 these days). It has plastic darkslides with wooden pulls and weighs 2 lb. 0.25 oz.

I have one 10x12 cherry S&S holder with plastic darkslides and wooden pulls. It weighs 2 lb. 3 oz.

In 14x17 most of my holders are made by Fidelity. Some say Medical Cassette (for x-rays) and some don't. Some are also labeled "Matrix Instruments, Inc." But, they are all identical in construction. These are plastic holders with metal darkslides, huge metal light traps and large plastic handles (not pulls, actual handles). I have a total of eight of these holders that weigh between 6 lb. 6.25 oz. and 6 lb. 7.5 oz. With an average wight of 6 lb. 6.9 oz. each, and a total weight for all eight of over 51 lbs., they usually stay fairly close to the my truck.

For longer forays afield, I have one 14x17 cherry S&S holder with plastic darkslides and wooden pulls. Compared to the 14x17 Fidelity holders, it's an ultralight 3 lb. 12.25 oz.

I'll try to post the 4x10 holder weights in the next few days. I've got lots of them in several different brands.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Chamonix...whole plate holders...I don't have a scale to weigh it at this moment.
    14.5 oz. Same size Lotus holders 13.5 oz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin