Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,408   Online: 918

Thread: Efke 8 x 20

Efke 8 x 20

Greeting,

I generally use FP4. Recently getting an 8 x 20 camera I needed film and could only find 8 x 20 in stock at Freestyle. Though I will get in on the necessary next preorder for FP4 I am going to explore the Efke seriously. If Freestyle stocks film as such I plan to support them more in the future. Are there any other vendors stocking large films?

Since the Efke is known for soft emulsion I have thought about brush development.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The View Camera Store stocks some ULF sizes.
    By the way, I use a lot of Efke 100 in the 7x17 and have grown to like it since I have come up with a developing plan which gives me the contrast I like. It is delicate, but no more so than the films with which I grew up.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I just got the new Freestyle catalogue yesterday and they only show the PL-50 for 8x20. I haven't called them to ask if this is correct. Does anybody know? I use the 100 and 25 and hope this is not correct. I'll have to call later.

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I just got the new Freestyle catalogue yesterday and they only show the PL-50 for 8x20. I haven't called them to ask if this is correct. Does anybody know? I use the 100 and 25 and hope this is not correct. I'll have to call later.

Jim
    Jim, I shoot pl50 in 8x20 and I love the film, its absolutely gorgeous. I've used pl100 for years. I tried the pl50 a little over a year ago and have been using it every since. Robert

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post

Jim
    Freestyle has always been up-front about the fact that their catalog only contains about one-third (or so) of their total inventory. I can understand this...if they chose to put everything in there it would be the equivalent of printing up a full-color phone book. Very expensive to do. Give them a call and ask.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    Jim, I shoot pl50 in 8x20 and I love the film, its absolutely gorgeous. I've used pl100 for years. I tried the pl50 a little over a year ago and have been using it every since. Robert
    Robert,

Are there any advantages to using PL50 over PL100?

Pete

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roodpe View Post
    Robert,

Are there any advantages to using PL50 over PL100?

Pete
    Pete, If you're using it for contact printing then the finer grain of the 50 will not make much if any difference. I shoot both the 100 and 50 at box speed. The 50 has a different tonality that I find appealing but it is not as flexible, ( if you are comparing film curves as the 100). I find I had to reduce developing times by about 30% when using the 50 compared to the developing times for the 100. I would not pull this film to 25 asa. You can go to the Adox website and they give a much better discription than I can. I have a sample pic in my gallery of an 8x20 nude that was shot with the 50. Robert

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    As with any films of varying speed, the 50 is one stop slower than the 100, and thus the contrast will be greater in the 50. This could be of real advantage if printing carbon, albumen or salt.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin