Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,829   Online: 1154

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

11x14 backpack discovery!

I've been trying to find a way to haul my 11x14 system into the field and came upon something I had not realized was right in front of me.
    I have been using a rolling tool case that I got from Harbor Freight for $15.00 but with my style of work it was a PITA to go to far.
    I have an extra Large Kelty external frame pack that I was going to use with my 8x10 system but I decided I liked my REI pack better.
    Looking at the Kelty this morning I realized that if I took off the internal "U" shaped post the bag could expand much more (DUH!!!) I put my entire 11x14 system with 5 lenses, 2 holders and the rest of my stuff in this thing! I'll have to weight it but my guess is about 40-45 lbs.
    I'm going to the Redwoods next month and I was trying to find a way to take my 11x14 into thew woods. Success! If anyone wants pictures just let me know.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Please put your shots up in this thread, or post your flickr!
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Well, I wish I could put some shots up but my digital camera died and I would rather put that money toward 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20 film. I did find a better system for the 11x14. It is an old MEI backpack that is perfect for the 11x14. Folds open all the way. The old Kelty needs a new home so if anyone is interested it will be cheap. It does need some TLC.

Jim

What size MEI backpack Jim? Do they make only one size? Can holders and other gear fit in as well?

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep in mind that with a pack frame, you can also lash your hard case (or other type of case) to the frame. They're a bit hard to find now, but sometimes you can find an old external frame pack and remove the bag. For example: http://www.fogdog.com/product/index....LAID=200132607

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Or you can buy a Kelty Cache Hauler and strap anything onto it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    What size MEI backpack Jim? Do they make only one size? Can holders and other gear fit in as well?

Ed
    Ed, I think it is the China Clipper II. If you go to their website it gives all of the details. I do not have the zip off day pack and if I did i bet i could get some 11x14 holders in there. I'm thinking 3. I just lash an extra bag with holders in it on there now. I can put two lenses and my filter bag in with the camera and I could more than likely get more.
    The best thing for me about this pack is that it "fits"! The 11x14 is a snug fit but it is relatively easy to carry.

Jim

Thanks Jim. For my 4x5 system I use the Photo-Backpacker system. Quite elegant, and "fitted to order". They have an 8x10 system for the Deardorff ( I don't have one yet ) as well. I am not sure if they offer an 11x14 solution, but Bruce ( the owner of the company ) can certainly provide guidance to any interested parties.

Note: I have no businsess, or other affiliation, with Bruce or any of his suppliers.

Ed

http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.asp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    40-45lbs? Wow that is the typical weight of my bag on a winter overnight trip (where my only camera equipment is an SLR). Hope you have a decent waist-belt pack on that pack.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ed, I spoke to Bruce about a pack system for my 8x20 and 11x14 and he wanted to know if I would be a beta tester for any system he may come up with. I told him "sure". Bruce is a great guy and provides some great gear. I would love for him to come up with something for the 11x14 and 8x20. I have not spoken to him for quite a while. Maybe I'll drop him a line.

When i go out with my ULF systems I only go out a couple of miles. Generally day trips and the weight I carry is with some nourishment and essentials. The reward is the big negatives that come out of my darkroom. The MEI pack for the 11x14 has a very good belt/suspension and holds the weight very well. I need to readjust the REI pack so it rides better but the belt is top notch.

Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin