Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,838   Online: 724

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wow. That was excellent.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anupam Basu View Post
    ...But at what point does that interest in craft or the process become a thing in itself and take away from the photograph?...
    Much better for the entire process, from conceiving the image to the print on the wall, to be one. The image determines the process and the process determines the image. Just from the short video and his explanation, it seems he has struck a balence between the two.

I am surprised he hasn't made a periscope/viewfinder and do all his image manipulation "in-camera"!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    fascinating...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Much better for the entire process, from conceiving the image to the print on the wall, to be one. The image determines the process and the process determines the image. Just from the short video and his explanation, it seems he has struck a balence between the two.
    Of course, that is ideal. But - and we may disagree on this - for me a photograph must be, at least provisionally, be able to stand on its own. That is, before you tell me whether it is an in camera Ilfochrome, or a platinum print or a Canon 1Ds thingamagig printed at Costco, the photograph on its own must grab me. The process should contribute to that interestingness and of course it has some value in itself. (a) A platinum print produces a look which a DSLR can't quite get, and (b) I also value the craftsmanship involved.

But my point about his work was that it is so severely limited by the logistics of the image-making - literally being able to park a truck wherever you want to make an image, taking way too much time to set up the shot regardless of the light etc - that it might start to become all (b) with very little (a). Of course I can't comment on the quality of his prints looking at the video, but I sure hope the prints have more than a novelty factor of the process involved.

Feel free to disagree . But of course, I do appreciate his dedication and meticulousness.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    No disagreement. Any discussion about process normally comes after one has a chance to take in the image.

Every process or methodology has its limitations/logistical problems. One person's limitations is another person's freedom. Someone shooting 10 36-exposure rolls in one day might think I am "limiting" myself by having only 10 sheets of 8x10 film on hand for the same time period. He/she would be mistaken. In fact, I have to fight the tendency to think that he/she is a rather shallow shooter...which would be equally mistaken.

Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn; 10-01-2008 at 07:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting video, thanks for sharing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good on him! Not my cup of tea, but I would like to play in his light proof chute. Looked like a bomb maker in the darkroom LOL

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When I went to the site I got the following message.

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by KQED"

Who is KQED?

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by bonk View Post

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    KQED is the public television station in San Francisco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If this is the same video, you can watch it here (on KQED site):

http://www.kqed.org/arts/programs/sp...jsp?essid=6820

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin