Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,899   Posts: 1,521,073   Online: 924

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

wondering about shifting from my Toho

Hi

I've been a (relatively) happy Toho user for some time. I like the lightness and like the (seemingly) limitless ability to adjust everything (just like a rail camera).

After some years (7) I've been finding myself unhappy (read unable to become comfortable) with the fact that all tilts are base tilts while swings are center. I find that I am more comfortable with center pivot.

I'm also a little unhappy with the cameras 'rigidity' in some situations. I've solved that to some extent with a bit of bamboo chopstick and some blue tac I carry now to 'steady' the top standards. However I'm interested (despite the issues I read about) in the Chamonix.

I occasionally lament the difficulty of getting the round lens boards on the Toho, and the lack of "grafloc back". I also find that it takes some moretime to setup, however I'm happier leaving the rail on the tripod and packing the body (bellows and standards) away. It does of course mean lens removal.

I think that the chamonix will allow a lens (say my 180mm) to be left on the board when folding the camera away or even just folding the camera down more simply ... dunno

does anyone thoughts on this dilema? I'm sure I'll not get much for the Toho if I sell it so I might just break even ...
    Theory: you understand why it should work but it doesn't
    Practice: it works but you have no idea how
    Here theory and practice meet, things don't work and I don't know why
    Homepages: here Blog: here

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Ritter Camera

I vote for the Ritter view camera as I just spent a week out in the field observing how they work...which happens to be superb....and don't forget to send your camera back to China for repair....(or to Richard)
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    From what I see, all ULF cameras require the user to accept compromises. And every item you have mentioned is really a personal preference. Until you use other ULF cameras you really won't know how your preferences fit in with the other cameras.

In spite of your complaints, your opening sentence says that you like what you are using. So I can see you have to make a difficult decision. You should base your decision on whatever path will allow you to use the camera more.

John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    oh dear ... this should not be in ULF ... its only LF (and a small one at that)
    Theory: you understand why it should work but it doesn't
    Practice: it works but you have no idea how
    Here theory and practice meet, things don't work and I don't know why
    Homepages: here Blog: here

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Chamonix 4x5 won't allow a lens to be mounted when closing. However, I find it only takes me 20 seconds or so to set up.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You don't mention your range of focal lengths. A lot of field cameras have just base tilts. Consider a Toyo field camera which has axis tilts on the front but bast tilts on the back.
    Jerold Harter MD

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin