Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,894   Online: 1110

Shooter
    Multi Format

My ULF update...

I have taken a full-time position teaching at The Waterford School in Sandy, Utah. This is the program that Tillman Crane set up and ran for many years. I am honored and blessed to be offered this position. I started on Labor Day and have loved it more than I thought I would.

Tillman set up one of the premiere B&W facilities in the west here at Waterford. We have two printing darkrooms, one with 17 enlargers, another with 12. We have a 15x30 film processing room with 4 working JOBO's. We have a slew of 4x5, 6x6 and 35mm cameras for the students to use.

We also have...get this... a locker full of Wista 4x5's, Speedgraphics, an 8x10 Toyo Field, a 4x10, an 11x14 and an 8x20. It is the 8x20 that I am most excited about in my own personal work, but I am equally excited to get the students shooting the larger formats. I have them working in 8x10 occasionally and have plans to get them shooting 8x20 and making alt. prints.

The 8x20 is a Lotus and is in wonderful condition. It has 5 holders and 2 lenses, a 30-inch Red Dot and a 450mm Nikkor. I traded a 24-inch Red Dot to Jim Galli recently for a 360mm f5.6 convertible Schneider Symmar. It is a whopper of a lens!

I made a lens board for it last night and did a test fit. I am going to really love using the 8x20 camera with that lens. Thanks Jim!

Anyway, I didn't want to come off as bragging, but I've been looking for various ULF cameras for about 3 years. With this position have access to one that is very beautiful. I am truly fortunate not only to have gainful full-time employment at a wonderful institution with fabulous students, but also have the academic freedom to create my own curriculum and work with some wonderful tools.

If anyone has questions about the Lotus, I can start a thread with images and impressions. My other ULF experience was with a Korona 12x20 which I also enjoyed (but it did have it's quirks).

Shooter
    35mm
    Congratulations! Speaking personally, I'm envious.

Good luck and Enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fantastic!

Shooter
    35mm
    Michael,

Does the school offer short courses? A week or two that an old geezer might benefit from?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have considered offering a class for faculty and student parents. That would be a D*&^%$#% class. Tillman Crane, years ago, held the Mammoth Camera Workshop here at Waterford and invited all of the industry biggies. Apparently it was quite a deal.

There are several ULF shooters in Utah that represent a variety of formats. If we wanted to I'm sure we could do an extended weekend and introduce folks to what the cameras are like to use.

I hadn't thought about it, but it seems like it would be a pretty cool thing to do (as long as I wasn't in charge...).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Great to hear from you again Michael.

I worked for Waterford (the Institute side) for three years as a graphic designer. I'm really kicking myself for not taking the photo classes they offered to employees but I did take the pottery class a couple of times.

The first day I interviewed with them I had to walk across the campus and there were students all over with those huge cameras. I knew it would be a great place to work and it was.

Glad you're loving your new job,

Alan.

Shooter
    35mm
    I see now that it is an K thru 12 school. If we had been closer, I would have sent my daughter.

Keep us informed if you decide to host some type of workshop or adult classes.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Really glad you have pretty much the dream job in Salt Lake City!
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Michael, congrats on the great dream job! Welcome to the 8x20 world. Makes me slow down a little more than my 8x10 but makes me think about my images much more carefully. I really slow down when I get the 11x14 out! Great to see they have some nice big cameras to use.

All the best.

Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin