Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,583   Online: 828

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Apo-Ronar or Apo-Nikkor for my 8x20

Hi,
    I have a little doubt about two lenses, I found a Apo-Nikkor 760mm f 11 and a Apo-Ronar 760 f 14 CL, both are process lenses, without shutter.
    I need a long lens for my 8x20 camera, and this two could be a good choise,cheap enough.
    I don't know these kind of lenses, and I would like to know if them could be cover my format and what quality them have?
    I saw also and Apo-ronar 800 f 9-kmlish, nice lens, but I think it's big and heavy, do you know also this lens?

Best

Stefano Germi
    Italy
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a klimsch apo ronar 600/9 and -Good God!- it's heavy. But nice. I guess it'd cover 20x24". Unfortunately, just about the only camera that can take it is my (very solid) 8x10 metal cambo. I don't think you'd want to put it on anything wooden, frankly.

Anyway the quality of these lenses is generally very good. The circles are generous to say the least.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    The F 14 will be harder to focus. I think the sharpness will be more that adequate for any of the 3 lenses listed.

John

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you want a Apo-Ronar 600mm CL, I have one I am willing to sell..."tis a big beasty! Can't remember if it is f9 or f11.

Vaughn

A thread about them...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ead.php?t=8432
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks all for your reply,
    Vaughn I have a 24 apo artar,thanks for you offer, a friend of mine is looking for a lens of that focal, when I saw him I'll give him this information,
    actually I'm seriously thinking to buy the Apo Nikkor 760 f11, a bit better to focusing than the f14.

Stefano

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You can't really go wrong with either lens. Both are pretty light for lenses of such long focal length and will have plenty of coverage for 8x20. The 760mm f14 APO Ronar CL weighs 1190g and the 760mm f11 APO Nikkor weighs 1280g (weights with mounting flange, but without lenscaps). These are both much lighter than the 600mm f9 versions of the same lenses.

I wouldn't worry to much about the difference in max. aperture regarding focusing ease. On lenses this long, the difference between f11 and f14 is barely noticeable. Slight advantage to the f11 APO Nikkor, but if I was choosing between the two, this would not be an overriding concern.

The biggest difference between the two is size. The 760mm f14 APO Ronar is significantly smaller than the 760mm f11 APO Nikkor. It's not that the APO Nikkor is huge (for a lens of this focal length), but the APO Ronar CL is exceptionally compact. The mounting flange for the 760mm f14 APO Ronar CL has 90mm threads and an outside diameter of 121mm - it will easily fit on a Sinar board without modification. The mounting flange for the 760mm f11 APO Nikkor has 110mm threads and is 145mm in diameter. It won't fit on a Sinar board without modifying the flange.

In terms of filter size, the 760mm f14 APO Ronar front accessory size is M67 x 0.75, The front accessory size for the 760mm f11 APO Nikkor is M110 x 1. If you use glass filters, or other threaded accessories, they will be much cheaper and easier to find for the APO Ronar CL.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photo8x10 View Post
    Thanks all for your reply,
    Vaughn I have a 24 apo artar,thanks for you offer, a friend of mine is looking for a lens of that focal, when I saw him I'll give him this information,
    actually I'm seriously thinking to buy the Apo Nikkor 760 f11, a bit better to focusing than the f14.

Stefano
    I am presently borrowing a RD 24" Artar -- definitely a more practical lens than the 600mm Apo-Ronar for field use. But then I am just using a wimpy little 8x10

PM me if your friend is interested, or if you would like more info on it for your friend.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks you Kerry for your reply, full of information about the lenses I put before, I can make a decision about one of them.

Vaughn I'll send teh link of this thread to my friend, if he is interested I'll send you an PM...

Stefano

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Today I have found a great occasion, very good Apo-Nikkor 760 - F 11 in shutter Melles/Griot it works perfectelly and the lens are OK, I'm seriously thinking to buy it for my 8x20....

Ciao

Stefano

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin