Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,665   Online: 820

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you push or pull it along? Are the wheels these, we don't have a Northern in our area but I can order online. These are pretty inexpensive. Who doesn't have a suitcase like yours laying around? I have a Calumet C1 8x10 sitting in one right now. There wasn't a good inexpensive case for it so I just put it in a suitcase to store it. Add some wheels, an axle, a handle and it's good to go. Did you attach the axle to the case with some metal brackets?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_13794_13794

Curt
    Last edited by Curt; 02-27-2009 at 11:54 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added more
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Curt...Those are the tires but mine go to 40 psi and I have 34 in them now. Inside the case at the bottom of mine was a piece of wood. Behind that piece goes a steel plate about the same size and bolted to the wood. Then on the outside is a piece of 90 degree angled steel bolted to the inside piece. Then a 1/2" piece of round steel is welded to the angled piece on the outside and then the wheels go on. Brass bushings on both sides of the wheels. Drill a hole through the end of each side of the axle outside of the wheel and a cotter pin goes through the hole. My Samsonite has a built-in pull-out handle. The pull-out angled bar at 45 degrees is a more complicated matter. It is not necessary but I wanted it so that I could swing out the T-bar from the case and have it rest at an angle so I could pull out the film holders and take the tripod off the top of the case before doing anything else. I will take some photos tomorrow of the fabrication and post them for a better look for you. If you can cut steel and weld it can all be done in a few days. But the best part is the simplicity of the angled piece at the bottom with the axle welded to it and then the wheels just attach by sliding on. I figure the whole thing with cart, camera, holders and tripod weighs about 70-80 pounds...but there are no brackets for the axle. You'll see how it works in the pics. I pull the cart and it really glides along with those inflatable tires. Solid mower type would be a bummer so these tires are great for airing them for the conditions you are working in. Check in on this thread mid-afternoon and I should have what you need.....Here is another shot-different angle...........Tav
    Last edited by Brickbird; 02-28-2009 at 01:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's excellent, thanks
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Curt.......I just e-mailed you 10 pics of the cart.........Tav

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Tav, I just got back in from my trip to Yosemite and I only took my 11x14 with me this time. I have both the 11x14 and 8x20 and something like this would be nice to have. I have packs for both and this gives me some ideas. I'm curious how the tripod and holders go on. I was thinking of modifying my golf bag cart to something like this but this looks way better. I just would need to modify it so it could haul two different systems. More pic's would be great. Thanks.

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Jim.....What pics would you like? I think this set-up would work for both cameras and you would just have 2 separate foam inserts for each camera. Since this is a Samsonite it has the large front zippered area on the case on the outside front. There are two compartments separated with a stitch. I cut the thread and that opened up the entire front top to bottom and allowed me to put at least 3, if not 4, 12x20 holders inside the front compartment. The built- in handle pulls out and I just put the tripod on that handle and wrap it with a tight bungee cord and I'm off. Your only modification would be the inexpensive foam rubber cut out for each camera. That expense was $50 for foam rubber. I also have a 11x14 Deardorff and it just fits into the hole I cut out for the 12x20 and I can get more holders in the front for the 11x14. I have not put them in yet to see how many it will hold. I e-mailed Curt 10 pics of the cart and if you want those let me know along with any other specific shots. For my Lotus I needed at least 27 inches in length and this Samsonite is 30 inches so it was perfect. I would think your 8x20 would fit fine in that size. Let me know what you need. Mike Chapman, long-time friend and jack-of-all-things, did all the fabrication and mentioned he would do another one. Kind of like building a camera!....................Tav

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    (Sniff, sniff...) I miss that camera... Nice job on the sport utility camera case!
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Thanks Kerik...I couldn't have done it without you!....The thing works like a H1 Hummer. All it needs is a .50 caliber on top just to finish it off.....TW

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

cart

Another option that I have looked into is a "game hauler". They are designed to keep all the weight off the handle. With a few strategically placed velcro fasteners you should be able to attach your existing pack to it with no problems at all. If it can haul a 200lb deer ( Ohio deer, we grow em big here) without any back breaking effort it should haul all the gear you can throw at it. This one from Cabelas folds up into a nice little package. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...052&hasJS=true
    Last edited by RobertP; 03-02-2009 at 11:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Personally I'd opt for the aluminum model with the large rubber all terrain tires.http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...052&hasJS=true

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin