Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,717   Online: 939

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Robert...I looked into that one but I couldn't get the Lotus to balance properly on top of that deer but figured I could hang the tripod from his antlers....and I would have venison nightly for dinner. Seriously though, I did this because the suitcase was hanging around AND I have a good friend who could fabricate the pieces. Other than that, I would have purchased the one you mention. The only thing I did not like about that hauler are the solid tires. But that could be easily fixed with the ones I bought if the axle on the hauler had a 1/2 inch axle. I know that the inflatable tires make a huge difference in the ride.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a friend who bought one of the aluminum models this past deer season. I haven't seen it yet. But he likes the solid rubber tires and the fact that they are 16" tires makes handling a little rougher terrain much easier than smaller tires, so he claims. I agree an inflatable tire will give you a more cushioned ride, unless of course you puncture one on the trail.( Note: carry can of fix-a-flat) Does the place you bought yours offer a larger tire? I'll have to go over and load a couple of my 50lb plus pelican cases on it and drag it through his woods and see how it performs. He's getting a little older and he says he would not even attempt hunting alone anymore if he hadn't bought the game hauler. He bagged a nice little 4 point this year and hauled it over a 1/2 mile with the cart and he claims he wasn't even breathing hard. ( Now that claim may be a stretch). Deer hunting tales can be a lot like fishing stories. But I'll let you know what I think of his when I see it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Robert...Northern does offer larger tires that are inflatable like the size of the game cart. Those would roll even nicer but the hubs on those larger tires are about 2.5 inches in width. That may or may not be a problem but my axle is now fixed in length and I could not use those now. I think those game haulers would work great as you could photograph AND go deer hunting at the same time...............TW

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brickbird View Post
    Jim.....What pics would you like? I think this set-up would work for both cameras and you would just have 2 separate foam inserts for each camera. Since this is a Samsonite it has the large front zippered area on the case on the outside front. There are two compartments separated with a stitch. I cut the thread and that opened up the entire front top to bottom and allowed me to put at least 3, if not 4, 12x20 holders inside the front compartment. The built- in handle pulls out and I just put the tripod on that handle and wrap it with a tight bungee cord and I'm off. Your only modification would be the inexpensive foam rubber cut out for each camera. That expense was $50 for foam rubber. I also have a 11x14 Deardorff and it just fits into the hole I cut out for the 12x20 and I can get more holders in the front for the 11x14. I have not put them in yet to see how many it will hold. I e-mailed Curt 10 pics of the cart and if you want those let me know along with any other specific shots. For my Lotus I needed at least 27 inches in length and this Samsonite is 30 inches so it was perfect. I would think your 8x20 would fit fine in that size. Let me know what you need. Mike Chapman, long-time friend and jack-of-all-things, did all the fabrication and mentioned he would do another one. Kind of like building a camera!....................Tav
    The same pic's will be just fine. Thanks,

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm really amazed looking at this. Although I am a bit worried that some serious Gear Acquisition Syndrome could result from this...I'm putting it out there publically now: if I start talking about getting a 12x20, someone tie me down until it passes, please.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a samsonite suitcase that I've used for carrying my 12x20 as well... TW possible to order just the wheel and handle segment? This is really genius and well designed. I've stopped using the GIANT pelican case as it just takes up too much space in the truck bed and have gone back to the suitcase method, always hated the smaller rollerblade wheels on it though.

if nothing else, thanks for sharing this and well done.
    Is the foam just cut from a block? where'd you source that? I love how snug it seems to fit.
    Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none.
    None more black.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Scooterman.....First, you are doing nice work with the 12x20 and more importantly you are doing a bunch of work with it. As to your questions, not knowing what kind of Samsonite you have, you will have to see if the wheels can some off. They are usually enclosed in a hard rubber or plastic housing that is bolted on at the bottom. If those can come off, and they most likely can, then you are off to the races. If you have a case that big it should have a handle that pulls out for rolling. If not, one could probably be made. The tires can be purchased at Northern for $13 each but have to be put on an axle. The foam came from Beacon Supply here in Dallas on Quaker St. off Irving Blvd. I had it cut larger than the case then outlined the camera and cut away with an electric carving knife. The Lotus fits down in there like a custom made pair of boots. And I can get 4 holders in the outside zippered front flap. Could you take some photos of your case and send them to me with inside dimensions? I could get them to Mike and we could tell if yours could be converted as he lives in Sunnyvale near Mesquite. You're only 3 hours away and he could knock it out in less than a week. As much shooting as you do, I can promise you that your photo life and your back would like this cart. But the problem is that you would most likely go through more film! If you care to call me it is 214-789-5185.........Tav

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Colin...To rig up this cart from a Samsonite is cheaper than a box of new 12x20 Tri-X. I'm trying to figure out a way to put a Honda 125cc motor on this thing. Then I would really have something. Go ahead and getcha a 12x20...it's cheaper than a 20x24............TW

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Motor-driven is already being done. Take a look at some of the self-propelled golf carts. The type you just walk behind and are remote controlled. Hell, if they'll haul a giant tour bag full of clubs and an 8 pack of beer they just may have enough power to haul the camera gear. But I think I would opt for a couple of sure-footed mules or a 4 wheeler with the big racks on the front and back and take walking out of the picture completely. I've done a lot of hiking with a 40 lb pack over the years and for some reason it just doesn't excite me like it use to. But with a good pack team I can take a mammoth plate camera, plates, darkbox, all the chemicals, and an entire outfitters camp into the field. If you're going to go more than 100 yards from the truck....Go Big! LOL

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I couldn't agree more. Exactly the reason for the cart. I got less and less excited about carrying my 11x14 Deardorff and all the crap in a pack in Big Bend and then stopping for the oxygen bottle and Advil. Next trip down there I'll be able to see if I need to add Rancho shocks to the cart.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin