Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,525   Online: 781

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

The 12x20 Custom Cart

Thought I would share the final product I have been tinkering with for a while. I wanted an easier way to transport the 12x20, 4 holders, and my Gitzo with one cart holding everything. I started with an old Samsonite that is 30" in length. Then went and bought 2 tube tires at Northern Supply that are each good to 150 lbs. Called my good friend Mike who is a genius at design and fabrication with all things of metal and steel. After giving him the idea he went to work cutting and building steel square tubing, angle iron supports for the 1/2" axle and we ended up with this great carryall for all the gear. It rolls like a dream, has a pivoting arm that swings out to put it down at a 45 degree angle, and holds everything plus some. My Big Bend trips are about to become a pleasure. If anyone has questions e-mail me and I will be happy to answer any and all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nice. Thanks for posting.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nice rig. Thanks for posting as it may give folks some inexpensive design options.

But it will still be hot as hell in Big Bend.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Brickbird View Post
    Thought I would share the final product I have been tinkering with for a while. I wanted an easier way to transport the 12x20, 4 holders, and my Gitzo with one cart holding everything. I started with an old Samsonite that is 30" in length. Then went and bought 2 tube tires at Northern Supply that are each good to 150 lbs. Called my good friend Mike who is a genius at design and fabrication with all things of metal and steel. After giving him the idea he went to work cutting and building steel square tubing, angle iron supports for the 1/2" axle and we ended up with this great carryall for all the gear. It rolls like a dream, has a pivoting arm that swings out to put it down at a 45 degree angle, and holds everything plus some. My Big Bend trips are about to become a pleasure. If anyone has questions e-mail me and I will be happy to answer any and all.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Sandy...I never go in the summer for obvious reasons. Usually go Jan.-March and at Chisos Basin it is usually 20 degrees in the AM when I get up at 5am. I will be giving the cart a trial run this weekend with a 1 mile trek at a lake near my home and if all works out Big Bend is 10 hours away....And by the way, do you have any cherry 12x20 holders in stock?...cherry would match the Lotus.........Tav

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I was in Big Bend a couple of times in June with a 12X20 and the heat was god awful. Would like to go back sometime when it is cooler. Beautiful place and lots of photographic opportunities.

Send me a pm to sanking@clemson.edu. We have 12X20 holders in stock but need to check your dimensions.

BTW, did you know Luc Novvitch (spelling?). He had a gallery in Marathon for a few years, the Sotel Gallery I believe it was called, but appears to have left the area.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Brickbird View Post
    Sandy...I never go in the summer for obvious reasons. Usually go Jan.-March and at Chisos Basin it is usually 20 degrees in the AM when I get up at 5am. I will be giving the cart a trial run this weekend with a 1 mile trek at a lake near my home and if all works out Big Bend is 10 hours away....And by the way, do you have any cherry 12x20 holders in stock?...cherry would match the Lotus.........Tav

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh man, a guy'd look so hilariously ridiculous dragging what looks like an all-terrain roll-on suitcase along a hiking trail (and it would be enjoyable knowing you've got a good reason).. I'm jealous
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Didn't know about Luc. Last time I was there I went by to see James Evans and had a nice visit with him. His book on Big Bend is very nice, just like him. You gotta love Marathon and its citizens. Did you make it to Shirley's Burnt Biscuit in Marathon? Oh my!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Walter....No kidding. The first one to make any snide remarks about the cart on the trail gets a tripod leg up his butt. Then he gets fed to the bears like a popsicle.....I'm just lucky that I was able to find mud-grip tires for max traction....baby Goodrich Mud-Terrains!

MONTY, where are you? You must be working tonight. If you could find a suitcase big enough this cart would be the livin' end for you and your 20x24 and I could get one put together for ya in about 1 week............Tav

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm really impressed with how nice this looks.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Chazzy....You are very kind to say so. I had thought about this for over a year and then it literally hit me in an instant when I was in Northern and saw the tires with the 1/2" holes for the axle. I think that the passion we have about ULF and all that goes with it can be dampened alot by the thoughts that come with the territory. I have had to stay close to the vehicle so many times knowing that my destination was just out of reach. I had thought about and had designed a backpack for the beast but that became a bad reality show. So now I get to bang this thing around some hiking trails and mud and rocks and see what fails. I can't wait to give it a try. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with NHTSA.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin