Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,889   Online: 997

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd pass too.

You have to be really careful with barrel lenses. Usually you can only justify putting them in shutter (versus buying a used one already in shutter) if they're a direct fit and you have a cheap shutter ready to go, or it's an unusually exotic or expensive lens.

Best case is above, perfect lens, good used chrome ring Copal sitting on your shelf, about $575 with nice ones ready-to-use at $750, savings of $175.

Worst case, haze, Scheideritis, and having to buy a new Copal ($450), with aperture scale (about $25 from Schneider), about $940 for 355 G-Claron with Schneideritis.

A good used black Copal 3 usually goes for around $325-350, so even with that you'd come in at around $815. And the worst case involves a lot of waiting and shipping parts around the country.

BTW, I have a 270mm G-Claron in late black Copal that is perfect but had haze in it when I got it. I shot with it and was underwhelmed. I was going to sell it or trade it, but had a box going to S.K. Grimes, so I thought what the heck, I'll have Adam clean it since I have room in the box. The difference was amazing.

Cheers,

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The G-Clarons are quite easy to disassemble for cleaning. I've done a couple of 150s, a 270, and a 355, all with good results. The SKGrimes wrench is a wonderful tool for this, and paid for itself with the very first lens I cleaned. I wouldn't attempt this with a modern wide-angle lens, as the alignment is more critical.

A couple of years ago I sent a 120mm APO-Symmar to Schneider for cleaning (it had a touch of internal fungus). It was $75 plus shipping both ways.

Schneideritis is, AFAIK, a primarily cosmetic problem. I have no direct experience with it, though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have owned a few and sold a few but now bought it again because I missed her sharpness. It's a wonderful lens for ULF shooters and relatively underprice. Buy it while you can . Mine arrived today in New condition as described NOS. Thanks Mat.
    Last edited by Tri Tran; 03-17-2009 at 12:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri Tran View Post
    I have owned a few and sold a few but now bought it again because I missed her sharpness. It's a wonderful lens for ULF shooters and relatively underprice. Buy it while you can . Mine arrived today in New condition as described NOS. Thanks Mat.

Just curious is it the normal G-Claron or the Repo Claron?

Thanks for the info!

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri Tran View Post
    This was one of the lenses from the eBay seller?
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another thing: Some G-Claron 355mm's fit in Copal #3 shutters, some fit in Compound #3 shutters. They are different!

I got one for Compound - on purpose, since that was the shutter I had available.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't want a Repo Claron; it's been repossessed!!

Cheers,

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coriana6jp View Post
    Just curious is it the normal G-Claron or the Repo Claron?

Thanks for the info!

Gary
    It's a G Claron as seller stated & marked outside of the box. Both front and back lens fit directly in the new Copal 3 plug and play. The same seller of Exxx link from Mat which I bought it from. Act fast.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Tri
    Nice. So glad you got one.
    Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none.
    None more black.

355 G Claron

Sorry to hear that Steve looks at this opportunity at barrel lens 355 G Claron's as a risk. I bought one for $225 which was a bargain. It had some problems with it and it was replaced with one that was like new. I gave the original one away and have a friend for life. I got a shutter and had an f stop engraved and mounted and I could not be happier. These lenses in barrel cost big bucks when they were new and are now discontinued. This is a must lens for the LF shooter as they cover more than 12x20 and are fabulous performers.

For the record I feel so strongly about this lens that I now have three of them.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin