Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,726   Online: 791

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

CHEAP 355mm G claron

These lenses are worth their weight in gold when it comes to useability/coverage/sharpness.

Theres one in a barrel mount on ebay for $325 buy it now.
    An ULFer needs to snatch this up ASAP
    They screw directly into a copal #3.

Item #170308253151
    Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none.
    None more black.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be careful. there was a seller who had a case of these that looked just like this, and all had Schneideritis and haze. The first one I bought had coating issues so he sent me another free! Great seller, but no bargain. If you compare: $325 + $125 (glass cleaning) + $250 (decent used Copal + $40 (aperture scale) = $740. You could just as easily buy a nice one in shutter for that. I sold mine because I concluded they were no bargain.If indeed these are from the same batch.

Cheers, Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    Be careful. there was a seller who had a case of these that looked just like this, and all had Schneideritis and haze. The first one I bought had coating issues so he sent me another free! Great seller, but no bargain. If you compare: $325 + $125 (glass cleaning) + $250 (decent used Copal + $40 (aperture scale) = $740. You could just as easily buy a nice one in shutter for that. I sold mine because I concluded they were no bargain.If indeed these are from the same batch.

Cheers, Steve
    Thanks for the note of caution, Steve. I was almost ready to pounce on this until you reminded me of the hazards of purchasing a lens without actually having it in hand, even from the most well intentioned seller. Add the additional costs of making the lens conveniently usable and it doesn't seem like such a good deal after all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here's a 355 G-Claron with Copal shutter, and from good seller: Item # 260372661881

I'd be bidding on that one if I could.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    Here's a 355 G-Claron with Copal shutter, and from good seller: Item # 260372661881

I'd be bidding on that one if I could.
    Alex, I'm afraid that item is a Repro-Claron, quite a different animal. Much narrower coverage.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mferrarini View Post
    Alex, I'm afraid that item is a Repro-Claron, quite a different animal. Much narrower coverage.
    DUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH! You're right. Never mind!
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The consensus is this isn't a good deal then? I was considering it, but am now rethinking.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It isn't a particularly good deal IMO with a lot of chances for something to escalate costs (haze) or decrease value (Schneideritis). Based on the above figures, even if it were perfect and the glass didn't need cleaning or you did it yourself, and made a paper aperture scale you'd still have $575 in it ($325+$250). If it has Schneideritis you might find it hard to get this for it if you ever wanted to sell. I'd be willing to spend another $75 - $150 to get a clean one with no issues from a known dealer like Quality Camera or Midwest. In general, very clean ones in late black shutters from knowledgeable and reputable people (not implying that the seller isn't) are running about $750 in shutter, and if you shop around you could get one for around $650, as I did. Mine's very near mint but had Nikon caps so I think that's worth a hundred.

My comments were based on my experience with a similar lens that also had haze (besides the Schneideritis).

It may be fine but it sounds like the same batch I was involved with, and looks like it too. I also note that the auction doesn't show the glass which raises alarms to me.

Cheers, Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the input. I think I will pass on this one.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made an offer on one while seller had that option, now i am happy he declined

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin