Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,822   Online: 899

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by jeffzeitlin View Post
    I am thinking about a custom made base plate that would allow the Reis head to pan. I am thinking of the J200 which is the smaller version with a 4" base. The weight of the camera with the normal lens will be under 16 lbs with my telephoto Tessar under 18 lbs. It would be a clean and light weight setup.
    With the Ries j200 you are giving up the side tilt adjustment at the head and will be required to use the legs to make a lateral adjustment should you need it. The costs of the Bogen 3039 (now called the Super 297) with a quick release plate is identical to the Ries J200. I have the double tilt version of the Ries that really comes in handy. As hard as I try to get the tripod and head level, there are those shots that beg for a side adjustment when the camera is all set up such as a strong architectural element.

If making a customer plate to have this system work for you is in your comfort zone, then by all means go for it.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Custom plate...

I have thought of this but not done it yet, the custom plate required would be simple to make for any machinist, and would probably take about 1.5 hours.
    The diameter and thickness of the piece you start with will affect the price, aluminum is around $5 per pound for small quantities at bulk suppliers.
    You will also need a custom mounting screw to reach up through your custom plate.

This is all assuming that your Gitzo has the "split-collar" style clamp at the top of the legs that grips either the flat base, or rapid column...you would use that clamp to grip the reduced diameter on the bottom of your custom plate.

You may or may not be able to modify the stock Gitzo flat plate, which will be a quicker, cheaper job if practical. They don't tend to be perfectly flat on top, so, maybe not.

SKGrimes can do it, I can do it, your friendly neighborhood machine shop can do it as long as you can tell them exactly what you want.
    Tracy Storer
    Polaroid 20x24 Studio West
    www.mammothcamera.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just to let everyone know - I putting a FEISOL Panning Base PB-90 and a Reis J250 onto the Gitzo 1325 - It will be a light and stable tripod.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffzeitlin View Post
    Just to let everyone know - I putting a FEISOL Panning Base PB-90 and a Reis J250 onto the Gitzo 1325 - It will be a light and stable tripod.
    Jeff, I use a manfrotto 438 in between the tripod and the head... to work around the 'pan' issues...doesn't work in the purest sense of panning, but allows me to rotate completely...It's like a ball head (kind of, but its more like a flat egg on its side) between the ries head and the tripod mount...make sense? Here is a link to the product. Works great btw...

http://www.samys.com/product_detail.php?item=622

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin