Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,151   Online: 970

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

Ries Tripod Head On A Gitzo Tripod

I have recently entered the world of ULF with the purchase of an 11x14 camera. My tripod is a 1325 Gitzo with a Graf large Studio Ball head. It has served me very well for my 8x10 Deardorff. I am seriously thinking about trying to put a Ries tripod head onto my Gitzo base. Has any done this and will to share their experience?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I tried to see online what the diameter is of the top plate. The Ries heads require a 4 inch for the J series and a 6 inch for the A series. If the plate on yours is smaller than that, like the Bogen at just under 2 inches, I would not use their head.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

What 11x14 camera do you have and what does it weight? This will have a tremendous effect on any recommendations and combinations that can be used.

My Wisner 11x14 is a tech field and needs the Ries A250 and the heavy A100 legs. It has a 6" round head and the camera sits proudly and safely on these legs. My Deardorff V11 is similarly positioned.

You want to make sure that you use the correct tool for the job.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just finished a project where I put a Majestic head on an old Gitzo 4-section tripod (short sections - I don't know the model, label was removed). I like the geared head, much easier to adjust. I also modified the pan motion to have the same king of worm gear adjustment, but that's another story. The 8x20 was hard to adjust with the friction clamps and hand adjustment on the Bogen head.

John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jeff acquired an ROC King camera with weight around 13 lbs. Total weight of system including lens & holder around 18 lbs.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Doug for getting to the question. Any help from the forum is appreciated -

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    MUCH prefer a ries head vs. a ball head for both my 7x17 and 8 x 10...and it's on a gitzo.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Scott - how did you mount it - does the panning work -which Ries head do you use?

A Ries head does not pan on a Gitzo tripod head simply because the manner in which it pans in a Ries tripod is to loosen the screw that holds the tripod head on the tripod with a bolt under the tripod head base. The Gitzo tripod bolt is static and as a result, when you put a Ries head on a Gitzo tripod I believe that you sacrifice the ability to pan.

I use a Bogen 3039 three way head for my 8x20 Canham that weights a bit more than your 11x14 and it works great. For and aft leveling bubbles and a quick release plate system that holds great. Having three arms to control fore, aft and pan directions is very nice and they lock down solid and secure. This is what I would recommend if you cannot find a way to pan with a Ries head.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I am thinking about a custom made base plate that would allow the Reis head to pan. I am thinking of the J200 which is the smaller version with a 4" base. The weight of the camera with the normal lens will be under 16 lbs with my telephoto Tessar under 18 lbs. It would be a clean and light weight setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin