Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,952   Posts: 1,586,004   Online: 791

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

11x14 - good cheap portrait lens?

Hey gang,

Today I got the 11x14 back that was on loan from the school. I want to have my students shooting portraits with it pretty quick, and am looking for a fun, inexpensive portrait lens to use with this thing. I have several lenses, and a 460 Nikkor that will cover it. I want to do something fun a-la Jim Galli with the cool funky bokeh and narrow depth of field. I probably ought to just go straight to the horses mouth with this one huh?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bausch & Lomb Tessar 1c's (I think that's the number) are not terribly expensive, quite common (although perhaps not in that focal length), and will give you that narrow depth of field (I think they're an f4.5). Downside is that your 11x14 better have concrete in the front standard. They're massive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a Lotus. It has a geared rise, so I feel confident I can put whatever will fit and not have that be the issue. I'm sure there are plenty of other issues, I just don't think that's going to be one of them.

Thanks for the tip on the Tessar. I'll start looking and see what I find.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well, if you want something really cheap...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...nese+pictorial

Don't laugh; these lenses let a high school student get the cover of View Camera Magazine last year!

Shooter
    Large Format
    i don't think a wolly triple velos 13/20/25 can compare with
    mark's 2f99c lens ..
    that is pretty sweet mark!

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I saw that article. We have our own collection of miniscus lenses. We used the dollar store variety also, inspired by your article. I hunted and hunted and could only find plastic lenses. I was hoping for something gooey and wonderful like your students made, but ours were quite a bit more gooey than what we wanted. I did make one today out of a glass lens that I found at home recently. I shot a portrait with the 11x14 using a paper negative. It gives interesting results, but I think I want something a tad better.
    Last edited by Kimberly Anderson; 05-05-2009 at 09:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sadly, I think even our longest lens, a 14", would only be appropriate for an 8x10. A diopter lens (usually sold as a "close-up" attachment) might do well for you. I've used these quite a bit with my own home-made concoctions. The main thing to know is that a +1 diopter is one meter's focal length, a +2 is a half meter's fl, a +3 is a third of a meter, etc. A pair of +1's or a single +2 should be about right for 11x14 portraits. The lenses are additive, so two +1 lenses equal a +2, a +1 and a +2 equal a +3, and so on.

The aperture placement determines field flatness and coma, but spacing and maximum aperture are the "fun" things to play with. But the actual lens itself you just have to live with and work with. But I've made several, and love them all.

Here are some images from my APUG gallery made with multiple-diopter lenses:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...47&ppuser=3608

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...33&ppuser=3608

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...10&ppuser=3608

Shooter
    Large Format
    petzval lens convert, just remove the rear cell, the front is usually 2xFL.
    Goerz 'Dogmar' convert, front cell is 1.9XFL and very swirly, rear is 1.4FL and 'pictorially' soft wide open
    CZJ 500/5 Tessar is a killer portrait lens, but a fully modern look to it.
    any 420mm or longer should work well but they get very expensive very quickly.

Good luck with the hunt.

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi mike

equinox photographic has a 10.75" busch telar ( barrel )
    maybe you can remove the front cell and make it cover.
    as is it will cover 6x8 .. less than 100$

http://www.equinoxphotographic.com/large.htm

have fun!
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So far I have a 450 Nikkor and a 30 inch Red Dot. I know they'll both be nice and sharp stopped down...maybe the Artar will do something interesting opened up all the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin