Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,869   Online: 881

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

360 f/5.6 Symmar vs. 360 f/6.8 Symmar-S

Decisions decisions...

I have both of those lenses sitting on my desk in front of me. One is my own personal property, the 360 5.6 Symmar (provided graciously by Mr. Jim Galli), and the other one belongs to the school.

Here's where my decisions get tricky.

I have an 11x14 Lotus camera that I would like to try to put into use more. The school owns a Nikkor 450 and a 30 inch Artar. I am not very interested in having two 360 Schneiders around. It seems very redundant.

The 5.6 Symmar is mounted on a board and fits the 8x20 Lotus and works well on it. For shooting wide-angle photographs I do not think I am interested in dragging the 11x14 out into the field. I am not interested in having each camera do everything, instead my idea is to turn the 11x14 into a dedicated portraiture camera and shoot paper negatives with it. The 30 inch Artar has the camera racked out as far as it will go, and the 450 Nikkor is just too wide for doing portraits.

The 360 6.8 Symmar was originally purchased to be used along with an 8x10 Tachihara camera, but it now has it's own dedicated Nikkor 300, so I'm not interested in putting it back with the Tachihara.

I don't have any budget to work with and am essentially considering one of the two 360's as a commodity. What can I trade/barter either one of those lenses for to arrive at a good decent portrait lens for the 11x14? That is the question. Additionally, what type of lens and/or lenses do I want to have for the 11x14? I already have a good semi-wide with the 450. I have a somewhat usable long telephoto in the 30 inch Artar. What I think I want to try to get is something between the 450 and the 30 inch. I did have a 24 inch Artar that I traded to get the 360 Symmar that I own.

This is me thinking very out loud, putting all of the data out and letting those of you who are interested in making suggestions help me work through this. I know that there are a lot of variables, and that's what is making it somewhat confusing.

Maybe a simpler question is, which is better out of the 360's...the 5.6 or the 6.8? Then I can go from there.

Thanks!
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The S is newer and I guess in a more modern shutter.#3? Should sell for more.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Of the two Symmars, I would keep the 5.6 just to have that little bit of extra light when focusing. If this is for school use, then it will also help keep students from getting confused when they see an f-stop that is not on the normal scale. As for which lens to get for portraits, I think the 24 inch is a good length for this reason: The 450mm is "normal" for 11x14, giving the same perspective as 300mm on 8x10. That being said, if the 450mm gives you the portrait perspective you want on 8x10, then multiply that by 1.5 to get the same relative perspective, which is 675mm on 11x14. Close enough to 24 inches to work. The other option would be a 480mm lens on 11x14 which gives as close to a 420mm on 8x10 perspective as you can get.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's my understanding that classic portrait lenses for 11x14 were not generally much longer than 18 inches or 450 millimeters, for the simple reason that these lenses begin to function as macro lenses at these reproduction ratios, so that longer lenses are neither desired or necessary. A head shot on 11x14 is approaching life size, regardless of the focal length. If I don't understand this correctly, I would be happy to be corrected.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    P.S.: when I someday have an 11x14 camera, the portrait lens that I want for it is the 18 inch Verito.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    P.S.: when I someday have an 11x14 camera, the portrait lens that I want for it is the 18 inch Verito.
    I got one, and I am going to mount it this week for my 11x14. The 14" is quite nice on 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would love to see some examples from that lens.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade View Post

There is a Verito Picture post thread over at Large Format Forum. Lots of examples from various Verito lenses:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade View Post
    I have a bunch of 11x14 shots made with an 18" verito, but nothing online. If I can remember to take prints up to work with me I'll scan them.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Awesome guys, thanks!
    Michael Slade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin