Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,358   Online: 822
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,412
    Images
    101

    Mounting & Unmounting ULF cameras on tripod.

    I was just wondering if anyone leaves the sliding tripod block on the tripod, and just slides the camera into and out of it? Seems like this would be a better solution for one person, rather than trying to "wrangle" a screw into a hole.

    Of course not all ULF cameras have sliding tripod blocks.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Westminster, Maryland, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    1,504
    I've never had a problem with screwing into a hole. Grin.

    When you say "tripod block", do you mean using a quick release plate?
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

    http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,412
    Images
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    I've never had a problem with screwing into a hole. Grin.

    When you say "tripod block", do you mean using a quick release plate?
    No, I mean the large sliding block that many ULF cameras have to allow you to center the weight of the camera directly over the tripod. It fits into the lower slots on the rail.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Holland and Brazil
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,066
    It seems to me that it would be easier to put the quick release plate onto the camera first and than slide it onto the tripod.

    Even with 35mm upto 8x10 inch I do it that way.

    Peter

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,412
    Images
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by archphoto View Post
    It seems to me that it would be easier to put the quick release plate onto the camera first and than slide it onto the tripod.

    Even with 35mm upto 8x10 inch I do it that way.

    Peter
    Yes, if it is a "QUICK RELEASE" plate, and that is how I do it, when I use Quick Release plates, but a Sliding Tripod Block is NOT a quick release plate.

  6. #6
    jp80874's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bath, OH 44210 USA
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,401
    Images
    6
    Could you attach a picture or a link to one. I am not familiar with this and it sounds like a great idea.

    I just leave the 7x17 on a big Ries or the 8x10 on a smaller Ries and carry them in the back of the SUV. As you know I go from there to mounting either in a baby jogger on top of a cooler bag of lenses over several film holders in a bag. From there I can go on trails or usually in my case along the canal towpath until I arrive at the shoot site or I see something new I want to shoot, up to two miles out. I leave the cameras set up in the garage and never have to worry about the balancing act of finding the little threaded hole with the screw.

    John Powers

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    877
    I have one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Adapter.html
    attached to my Ries J head and QR plates attached to of my 8x10 & 7x17 cameras. Works like a charm!
    John Bowen

  8. #8
    Shawn Dougherty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,132
    Images
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Yes, if it is a "QUICK RELEASE" plate, and that is how I do it, when I use Quick Release plates, but a Sliding Tripod Block is NOT a quick release plate.
    I have a sliding block on my C1, I think it would be faster, indeed... I'll have to give it a try next time I'm using it. Would save a littlle room in the bag as well.

  9. #9
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,767
    Images
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone leaves the sliding tripod block on the tripod, and just slides the camera into and out of it? Seems like this would be a better solution for one person, rather than trying to "wrangle" a screw into a hole.

    Of course not all ULF cameras have sliding tripod blocks.
    Yes, this is what I do when mounting a Calumet C-1 to a Majestic tripod head for shooting. I just leave the tripod block on the tripod all of the time and slide the camera in and out of it when setting up/tearing down (respectively). The C-1 is so heavy it will torque on the tripod regardless of how much I tighten it down--probably just need to get a 2nd hole drilled for a second screw, but I digress.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

    blog
    website

  10. #10
    smieglitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,863
    Images
    97
    I made a tripod block and have it mounted more or less permanently to a Majestic head to support my 11x14 B&J view camera. It was well worth the effort as now mounting/unmounting/balancing the camera is so much simpler.





    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin