Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,264   Online: 964

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shutter repairs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shutter repairs

I think I'm going to cry. My 19/21/28 triple convertible turner reich which hasn't even been used yet has taken a dive on the concrete. Now its well and truly f%£^&d. The shutter isn't firing properly at all. The upper speeds seem ok but the T and B settings won't even stay open. It wouldn't be a problem if they were working because most of my exposures are going to be longer than a second anyway. Does anybody know whether this will be repairable and where I could have this done? I shouldn't be allowed around expensive vintage equipment
    Last edited by Jarvman; 06-07-2009 at 11:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://www.sherrykrauter.com/ is great for repairs!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are these occurances usually rectifiable? It won't be completely buggered and beyond all repair do you reckon?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I really have no idea, send Sherry a email and see what she says.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    jarvman

is it a betax shutter ?
    but you might look into
    emailing carol at flutot's camera repair
    she is an expert with large format shutters
    and can probably fix yours ...

http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/

good luck and sorry for your situation!

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yeah its a betax 4. Ideally I'd rather not send it abroad. I was thinking of sending it to linhof studio here in the UK if they're up to the job.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's another recommendation, though abroad (for you, they're in CA, USA): http://www.ictcamera.com. They fixed a non-working Copal 0 from an old 135mm Convertible Symmar, after it had been returned to me as non-repairable by another highly-recommended shop.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I had a similar problem with a Betax 4 shutter just the other week. It worked when I got the lens - a convertible Velostigmat, but after just one tour in the forest it just didn't. And just as yours, times fired fine but B and T didn't react.

So I opened the front, just one screw; nothing. So I opened the next level, very carefully, fired the shutter a few times and; voila.
    Still don't know what happened, maybe it just needed a breath of fresh air, a glimpse of a blue cloudless sky - or an eveningwhite ceiling. Anyway, It's definitely a mystery I can live with.

My point is, maybe nothing really happened, and if you look carefully into it, with the love and affection old things need, the shutter will understand that too.

Gr.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can ask Black on White in Bristol, they do my repairs and are excellent. But Betax shutters are rare in the UK so parts could be a problem, having said that these shutters are dinosaur like compared to Compurs etc. I have one it's a brute.

Also try Newton & Ellis in Liverpool. Linhof Studios probably won't have the expertise for that shutter.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you need to go outside the United Kingdom and want to stay within the Commonwealth try Camtech In Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
    http://www.camtechphoto.com/
    If you mail it to me I will make sure it gets done and back to you.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin