Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,477   Online: 907

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Filter thread question

Anybody know what size filter thread a 12/21/28 turner reich triple convertible is? i've looked on google but can't find an answer. Seems to be close to 58mm but not quite. Any ideas?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Standard sizes are these day's (as you know) 55,58 and 62.
    If you need anything inbetween you can go to push-on filters and you will need callipilers to measure the propper size.
    If needed you can line an oversized filter with some narrow strips of gaffler tape to get to the right size.
    I have done that a couple of times and got a snug fit.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It doesn't use standard screw-in filters. It should use series push-on filter adapters. Screw-in filters became popular about a half century after the T-R was designed.

http://silverbased.org/series-filters/

If you want a screw-in adapter, S.K. Grimes can make you one.

Cheers, Steve
    Last edited by Steve Hamley; 07-08-2009 at 09:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems to be close to 58mm but not quite. Any ideas ?
    Hammer or glue!

You will probably have to make something custom. Maybe someone will tell us why early lenses had threads and what was originally inserted in those threads.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Hammer or glue!
    A wedge of blu tac usually does the job!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The barrels/cells were threaded for the insert that screws in and holds the glass in the lens cell.

Cheers, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Hammer or glue!

You will probably have to make something custom. Maybe someone will tell us why early lenses had threads and what was originally inserted in those threads.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvman View Post
    Anybody know what size filter thread a 12/21/28 turner reich triple convertible is? i've looked on google but can't find an answer. Seems to be close to 58mm but not quite. Any ideas?
    I was able to make a ring out of some walnut that slips over the outside of my lens and it fit on the inside of the Lee filter holder I have for it. Works real nice.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since a picture is worth a thousand words, the attached jpeg shows the glass retaining ring that threads into the cell or barrel; it usually has writing on it with the manufacturer, serial, model, aperture and so forth. This ring also in many cases determines how far the glass is from the iris as well as a way to remove glass for cleaning. Many Artars were more intelligently designed and had a knurled ring on the rear of the cell by which the glass could be removed for cleaning without resorting to spanners or O-rings to remove the front retainer.

Cheers, Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ring.jpg  
    Last edited by Steve Hamley; 07-10-2009 at 06:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin