Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,980   Online: 1040

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by coriana6jp View Post

I saw the pictures of the 14x20! That is one awesome looking camera. Since its a nonstandard size, I assume you have to cut down the film yourself from 16x20?

Cheers.

Gary
    Gary,

It took me awhile to get to a finished camera. I purchased the Deardorff 14x20 back first. Then holders and film. Then finally, Richard adapted the back to his camera. My film is from the Photo Warehouse. They used to custom cut film to ulf sizes, but don't anymore. The film is FP4 so I will place a custom order with Ilford from now on. Ilford will custom cut but there is a minimum order required.

Pete

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebra View Post

Roodpe,

cool format 14 x 20. I like that ratio.

great shooting,

monty
    Monty,

14x20 is like 5x7 on 'roids. Jack Deardorff originally came up with the size for Kenro Izu. I read that Kenro wanted a 20x24 camera and Jack said the largest format he could produce was 14x20 fit to the 12x0 Deardorff camera. When he made Kenro's camera, he made a few extra backs. I guess it was harder to have the larger ulf cameras built in the '70s. I had the back for quite awhile and finally gave up on finding a Deardorff 12x20 camera. Actually, Richard's camera came in at less than 1/2 the weight of a Deardorff and I can do verticals also. The image on the ground glass is amazing.

Pete

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roodpe View Post
    Monty,

14x20 is like 5x7 on 'roids. Jack Deardorff originally came up with the size for Kenro Izu. I read that Kenro wanted a 20x24 camera and Jack said the largest format he could produce was 14x20 fit to the 12x0 Deardorff camera. When he made Kenro's camera, he made a few extra backs. I guess it was harder to have the larger ulf cameras built in the '70s. I had the back for quite awhile and finally gave up on finding a Deardorff 12x20 camera. Actually, Richard's camera came in at less than 1/2 the weight of a Deardorff and I can do verticals also. The image on the ground glass is amazing.

Pete
    Pete,

that story is awesome. I love the ingenuity of the ULF mind! You have to have it to love this pursuit. I would love to see your work if you have a link please post it. If you are ever down around Asheville don't hesitate to look me up and we will go white whale hunting

monty

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by coriana6jp View Post
    Hi All,

My RR 12x20 is apparently nearing completion and will probably be ready in the next few weeks. (Waiting on the bellows, I guess). I have picked up locally a used Ries A100-2. Its built like and can probably support a tank. The only thing is that it didn't come with a head. I happen to have an Arca B2 here, which I am in love with. (I would probably marry it, but certain laws as well as my wife would probably prevent it but I).

I know there are various schools of thought about using a head or not using a head. The B2 is about as sold and stable as you and get, but I wonder if its not enough or too much. Or should I just mount it directly to the tripod, without a head. The biggest advantage I can see with using the head is I can use my other cameras that already have Arca type plates on them.

The RR12x20 itself is about 14 pounds, but throw on a lens and filmholder gets closer to 20 I am guessing.

Any thoughts?

Also, how is everybody transporting thier cameras? Everything I have up to 8x10 I am carrying in a photobackpacker sytem. Which is not an option for this camera. Given the weight of the camera, tripod and other goodies wheels are beginning to look pretty damn good. Some happen to mention a jogging stroller and somebody else a game cart.

I had thought of using my wife, but she objected.

Thanks All.

Gary
    Welcome to ULF!
    I have used the Arca B2 on Gitzo Carbon sticks for over 17 years. Works very well.
    For carrying the Canham 12x20 and 7x17 reducing back, I've used a Lightware Power Kit Case for a similar amount of time. Surprisingly the camera fits quite well into this with the dark cloth somewhat padding. Very sturdy.
    Holders go in white cases I had AWB custom make back in 1993 -- but he's offered them since we did the initial design.
    And take a look at the wind stabilizer - another of Alan's products concocted after discussions on the phone many years ago....
    (Not sure if Alan is still building, but Fred Newman at Viewcamerastore.com can get items...)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Don,

Thanks for that information. I think the RR camera is slightly lighter than the Canham, so before I plunk down alot of money on a new head I will give the B2 a try. In a way I am kicking myself for not buying a large carbon tripod, but I can always do that later.

I have purchased 2 S&S holders for Sandy King and will be adding a couple of more, though I need to contact Alan about his cases they look pretty good. As far as wind stabilizer goes, I found something here locally that I have been using with my 8x10 so I am set there.

Thanks Again.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Gary....Find my post about this contraption I built. It has a Lotus 12x20 and 4 holders in it and I can pull it from Texas to Monty's house if I had the legs........TW

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brickbird View Post
    Gary....Find my post about this contraption I built. It has a Lotus 12x20 and 4 holders in it and I can pull it from Texas to Monty's house if I had the legs........TW

TW,

Thank you for posting this. I had seen the original thread a while back & it has given me some ideas. The only problem is, I don't currently have access to a metal shop to put it all together. But, I might look around.

Thanks much!

Gary

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I was just about to add that Mike(my fabricator) and I could whip one up for you, then I noticed you are in Japan. I think the postage on that gorilla might be a tad too much to ship to you.......Rickshaw with driver?...................TW

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi TW,

Yeah, the postage might not be that bad but it all depends upon the weight of the case. Rickshaw drivers are only in tourist areas and they are expensive alot more than the shipping of that case would be!!!

Thanks much for the thought!

Gary

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Maybe a beautiful 400 lb. female sumo wrestler would carry it around for you. DO NOT e-mail photos if you find one............TW

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin