Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,108   Online: 934

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Final ULF questions.....

Hi All,

My RR 12x20 is apparently nearing completion and will probably be ready in the next few weeks. (Waiting on the bellows, I guess). I have picked up locally a used Ries A100-2. Its built like and can probably support a tank. The only thing is that it didn't come with a head. I happen to have an Arca B2 here, which I am in love with. (I would probably marry it, but certain laws as well as my wife would probably prevent it but I).

I know there are various schools of thought about using a head or not using a head. The B2 is about as sold and stable as you and get, but I wonder if its not enough or too much. Or should I just mount it directly to the tripod, without a head. The biggest advantage I can see with using the head is I can use my other cameras that already have Arca type plates on them.

The RR12x20 itself is about 14 pounds, but throw on a lens and filmholder gets closer to 20 I am guessing.

Any thoughts?

Also, how is everybody transporting thier cameras? Everything I have up to 8x10 I am carrying in a photobackpacker sytem. Which is not an option for this camera. Given the weight of the camera, tripod and other goodies wheels are beginning to look pretty damn good. Some happen to mention a jogging stroller and somebody else a game cart.

I had thought of using my wife, but she objected.

Thanks All.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Gary,

I too have a few Ritter cameras....8x10 and 7x17. 99% of my 7x17 use is within 100 yards of the car. I have purchased a jogging stroller with the intention of taking the 7x17 to the James River here in Richmond. The parking is a short ways from the areas I want to photograph so I figure the stroller will do the trick. John Powers is a 7x17 guy and somewhere on this forum he has posted some instructions on how he modified his jogging stroller to suit his 7x17 needs. Iuse a Ries J100-8 to support my Ritter Cameras (I'm 6'6") and use the Ries Junior head. Works like a charm. Sorry, but I have absolutely zero experience with the arca heads.

Good luck and welcome to the club!
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, this is Ries's recommended head for the A100-2:

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=2620

I have the A100/A250 combination, and that's fairly bodacious. I wouldn't hesitate to put an RR 12x20 on it. You could probably perch an elephant safely on the A100-2/A250-2 combo.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Gary,

What wonderful purchases. You really seem to be doing it right. My hope is that you are joking, because I am very sure these will not be your final ULF questions. The best of good fortune to you in your new ventures.

On the connection between your tripod and camera I would read http://www.largeformatphotography.in...t=50617&page=2.
    The OP, Bill, lives near me and we discussed this problem. I was afraid of what he wanted to do and suggested he ask advice from people with larger cameras than my Phillips 7x17.

I use a Ries A 250 double tilt head on a 1950s vintage Ries A 100. I am told the old tripod is stronger than the new. I do not know myself. Tripod and head are massive and strong. I have no fear for this. I only move it from the jogger to the car, so weight is not important.

Thanks John Bowen. I didn’t know that I had a fan club. My father always taught me to look over the group and be sure to pick anyone over 6’ 5” for your team. I am only 5’ 9” so we might look in our fantasies like Ansel and Edward out shooting together, different height, different view. Here is what I wrote on Baby Joggers. You might find the whole thread useful rather than just one person’s opinion. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...502#post483502

To make the job easier on a trip I carry either or both my 8x10 and my 7x17 mounted on their tripods in the back of my 2003 Toyota Highlander SUV. That way I can take out the baby jogger, put film holders on the bottom frame, put the cooler bag of lenses in the baby seat, put the tripod spikes into the foot pad, bungy cord the top of the tripod to the lens bag and jogger frame. Brett Weston and 50 feet be dammed. I am good for four miles round trip. Now of course if I had Brett’s vision I might not need to go four miles.

John Powers

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Gary,

I use the Ries Junior to support my Ritter 14x20. The Ries Junior is near its limit but it works well. I also have a B2, and that will work, but in practice I see no need for a quick release for a Ritter camera. It is very easy to mount and secure the camera to the Ries head. Usually takes less than 60 seconds. The screw on the Ries head is spring loaded so you you just lay the camera on the head, tilt it a little to center the hole over the screw (you hear the screw engage because of the spring loading), and then tighten the screw. Using the head is not as rigid as just using the camera mounted directly to the tripod, but I still use the head for ease of adjustment. Since you are using the A series tripod, you can use a Ries A series head. I use a Miller CF cine tripod and it mates perfectly to the Junior head.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hello Gary,

As Oren says your tripod choice along with the A 250-2 would support an elephant. That is the combination I use for my 20 x 24 camera with holder and lens that equals about 75 lbs. Get a smaller Reis head as suggested above and you will be just fine. I second the joy of the Ries spring loaded screw as mounting the 20 x 24 without it would be mean spirited and cruel and unjust punishment.

Roodpe,

cool format 14 x 20. I like that ratio.

great shooting,

monty

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    ANOTHER vote for the Ries A100 legs and A 250-2 head. It holds my 12x20 Folmer & Schwing quite well. I've used ALOT of the various options over the years, Giottos legs, gitzo heads, berlebach, etc etc ... and the Ries combo is the greatest thing for the ULFer since sliced bread, pure luxurious goodness.

Heavy as all get out... but if you want low on the weight, dont shoot ULF... its Ultra Large Format not Ultra Light Format.

Also, someone posted a link to the Badger website to buy the Ries A2502 head. Its about $70 cheaper at the View Camera Store. I bought mine from there and Fred gave me a free square of leather to glue on top the head.
    Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none.
    None more black.

Shooter
    Large Format
    John Powers,

We ULF guys and especially we 7x17 guys need to learn from each other about all the trials associated with our wonderful hobby. I've learned a bunch and look forward to learning more about such things as storing negatives, storing prints, transporting equipment, lenses that cover, etc., etc., etc. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
    John Bowen

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    John Powers,

We ULF guys and especially we 7x17 guys need to learn from each other about all the trials associated with our wonderful hobby. I've learned a bunch and look forward to learning more about such things as storing negatives, storing prints, transporting equipment, lenses that cover, etc., etc., etc. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
    Thanks for having 7x17 storage boxes to sell when I needed them. We all learn from each other, either on the forums or at gatherings. Cheers for both.

John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thank you everyone for the helpful replies. I should have said, last questions before delivery. After reading all the comments I think probably end up buying a A250 Head at some point, but before that I will give the B2 a try since I already have it, if it doesnt work I can sell it for more than the price of Ries head, so I wont be out either way.

Rodney,

I saw the pictures of the 14x20! That is one awesome looking camera. Since its a nonstandard size, I assume you have to cut down the film yourself from 16x20?

Matt. I have been admiring your homepage for a while now. I like the 12x20 stuff you have done, one of the reasons I went with the format.

John & John, you both have given me a lot of to think about. I might start scrounging through the local used shops to find a jogging stroller, they are somewhat rare here on this side of the Pacific.

I am looking at the dog, and thinking he might be useful to help haul this stuff around.......though I think I might get bitten if I try.

Thanks again for it all, I am sure I will be posting here alot more over the next few months. I was originally going to go ULF last year, but as soon as I started to get things together I found out my wife was pregnant, delayed everything by a year.

Cheers.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin