Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,219   Online: 796

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12x20 Lenses

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hello, I also have a 12x20 camera and I am also looking for a wide angle lens. Now, my larger lens is a 17'', so it is about 60° wide but I am looking for a much wider lens. I wonder if a 210 SSXL really cover the 12x20 size, I mean if we focus far away and not on the near plan ??? Sorry if my english is bad...
    I am looking for a computar 305 for several months, so, I have sent a PM to TW to have more informations about this fuji lens and please M sandy king, if you sell your 305 computar... believe me you don't have to waste time to look for a buyer...

Thank you, Thierry Moenne-Loccoz.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Thierry..........Sent you a PM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TML74 View Post
    Hello, I also have a 12x20 camera and I am also looking for a wide angle lens. Now, my larger lens is a 17'', so it is about 60° wide but I am looking for a much wider lens. I wonder if a 210 SSXL really cover the 12x20 size, I mean if we focus far away and not on the near plan ??? Sorry if my english is bad...
    I am looking for a computar 305 for several months, so, I have sent a PM to TW to have more informations about this fuji lens and please M sandy king, if you sell your 305 computar... believe me you don't have to waste time to look for a buyer...

Thank you, Thierry Moenne-Loccoz.
    Hi Thierry,

First, the 210 SSXL will indeed cover 12X20. Not only will it cover, but you will have an inch or two of movements. But it is a very large lens, and you must use it with the center filter.

If you are interested in my 270mm Computar or 305mm Computar please contact me by pm. You can even write in French if you like as I used to speak French fluently and can still read it well. I believe you are French, no?

Sandy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I use my 210 SSXL quite a bit. It may in fact need the center filter, but I don't use one. If anything I like the fall off on the edges. I focus it at 7 feet and then stop it down to f/64 for hyper-focal. I shot the horseshoe bend down in Page Az. (funny story on that one for the LF Forum BTW) I used my 12x20 and the prints are some of my more recent favorites. Frankly, I would give up my 12x20 if I didn't have such a lens.

Cheers,
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I use a 355mm G-Claron and a 19" Goerz Red Dot Artar.

For the first few years of shooting with 12x20 I used the 355 G exclusively. The last few months I've been using the 19" RDA for a vast majority of shots (interiors still work better with the G claron) ... both cover the format surprisingly well and are great lenses, couple inches of coverage with the 355 and multiple inches with the 19" .
    I found the 19" RDA for about $175 on ebay. Its barrel mounted but easy to manage with F90 and a lenscap.
    Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none.
    None more black.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Again for all the helpful information. It seems like the 305mm Computar or the 210mm SSXL are the best or really only two choices for really wide angles lenses on the format. Everyone's helpful comments have pretty much confirmed what I had thought. Looks like I am going to have to save up some for a while. Since I already have a 355mm G-claron, the 305 might be a little bit too close. The 210mm SSXL will probably be it, after I replenish the bank account.

Robert, I read your story very funny. I looked at your gallery very very impressive stuff!

Thanks Again.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I had forgotten that I have 3 Konica Hexagon GRII lenses and one of them is a 300mm. A printing company had given them to me years ago when they THREW AWAY their process camera. I put the 300 on a board and mounted it up yesterday on the 12x20. It just missed covering to the corners wide open but it would allow for some 11x19 nice contacts. These monster process cameras are still around but becoming scarce so if anyone has the interest you might call around your areas and check the larger printing plants to see if they still have some of those beasts in their warehouses. The lens was razor sharp and I will expose some film soon with it and report back later.............TW

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Don't forget about the very very affordable Kodak Ektanon 21 1/4" ..Razor sharp and covers 12x20. One of the best kept secrets in ULF.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    Don't forget about the very very affordable Kodak Ektanon 21 1/4" ..Razor sharp and covers 12x20. One of the best kept secrets in ULF.
    Robert, I agree! I have one for the 8x20 and an Ilex paragon 21 1/4" in mint condition for the 11x14. Great lenses that are sleepers and very cost effective!

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are many great lenses that will cover 12X20 when you get to the 19-24" and longer range. Virtually any of the apo type lenses cover nicely stopped down. This includes Apo Tessars, Apo Ronars, etc, as well ad Goerz RDA. You can often find these in barrel for not a lot of money.

With 12X20, and any ULF format, the premium is for wide angle coverage. If you want wide angle for any of these formats, expect to pay a bundle for it. For the 8X20 and 12X20, $3000 or more for the SSXL or $2000 plus for the 270-290-300mm Protar Series V, Computar, etc.

Dagors used to be great values for ULF, but now days they are, IMO, quite expensive for what that deliver.

Sandy King

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin