Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,791   Online: 967

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12x20 Lenses

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

12x20 Lenses

Hi All,

As I sit here waiting to mug the mailman waiting for my 12x20 I got thinking about lenses a little bit. I currently have a 355mm G-Claron and a Fuji 600mm C, which I am sure will keep me busy for quite a while. I have on long term loan from a friend a Fujinon 450mm CMW from a friend.

But,

I am thinking something wider and longer would be nice at some point. The camera has 1 meter of bellows, so a lens in the 30 to 35 inch class and maybe something around 250mm would be nice. I know a 210mm Super Symmar XL will cover but thats getting pricey.

Any thoughts on what would cover 12x20 in these lengths that would break my bank too bad.

Thanks.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Gary,

The Kowa Computar Kyvytars are very hard to find in the US, but maybe they are more easily located where they were made. I don't know. They have been recommended in many posts on this subject.

210mm Schneider Super Angulon,
    210 Schneider SSXL,
    some 240mm Kowa Graphics,
    240mm f/9 Computar
    270mm f/9 Computar
    ---------------------------------
    Kowa Computar Kyvytar

This is part of a test report written by Gordon Hutchings. Many years ago, Burleigh-Brooks introduced a line of lenses under the name of Computar; the Kowa Lens Company of Japan made them. These lenses were a remarkable value as they were a wide-angle plasmat, excellent quality and quite inexpensive. After Burleigh Brooks folded, the lenses were briefly carried by Kyvyx and were called Kyvytar and then independently offered by Kowa a Kowa Graphic lenses, in both shutter and barrel. These lenses were offered in 150, 210, and 300 mm length and are excellent buys, if you can find them. These lenses are hard to find, especially in 210 mm length. The cell of 150 and 310 mm barrel mounts will screw directly into a Copal # 1 shutter, with no adapters required. Some times the barrel lens will come with thin spacers. The trick is this, for center image use, the more spacers between the rear cell and the shutter the better. For the corners of the image, no spacer is best. This is why, in a shutter mount, we often see one spacer as the best overall compromise. For comparison, the 150 mm Kowa has an image circle of 290 mm or about 1degree inches of movement for a 5 x 7. The 210 mm Kowa has an image circle of 460 mm of about 2 degree inches of movement for the 8 x 10. This is why we love these lenses so much.

Note the 240mm Kowa is not mentioned, possibly because some have much more coverage than others.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a 600mm Apo Ronar on my 8x20. I'm pretty sure it covers 12x20 as well. There also is an 800mm Apo Ronar. They are sharp, contrasty lenses. They usually come without shutters.

John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've got a 600mm f9 Docter Optics Apo-Germinar that should cover 12x20. They came in barrel only, if you have them mounted in a Copal 3, they become an f11 max.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the information. I am covered at 600mm with the Fuji, but the 800mm Ronar looks interesting. I also have a line on a 35 inch Aratar which has been mounted in a shutter.

Actually, Kowa graphics lenses are extremely hard to come by here, I have seen exactly two for sale here in the last 4 years. Does anyone know exactly which one of 240mm would cover 12x20? The SSXL is would be a first choice, but the $1000 center filter has me scared off a bit.

Thanks!

Gary

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If there is any way you can try any 210mm I would do so. I bought a ssxl for 7x17 and found it too wide for my vision. I sold it to someone with a 12x20, making it a wider perspective. He says he loves it.

There are those who have that lens and do not need a center filter. It apparently depends on the subject. Jim at Midwest Photo (Columbus, OH - mpex.com) said to try a few shots before you buy the filter and then decide. I didn't get that far.

If you go to the LF Forum and search on "12x20 lens" there are several threads that might interest you. For that matter since you are just starting, there are many threads that come up when you just search on “12x20”.

Hope some of this helps.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coriana6jp View Post
    Thanks for all the information. I am covered at 600mm with the Fuji, but the 800mm Ronar looks interesting. I also have a line on a 35 inch Aratar which has been mounted in a shutter.

Actually, Kowa graphics lenses are extremely hard to come by here, I have seen exactly two for sale here in the last 4 years. Does anyone know exactly which one of 240mm would cover 12x20? The SSXL is would be a first choice, but the $1000 center filter has me scared off a bit.

Thanks!

Gary

At one time I had 210mm, 240mm, 270mm and 305mm Kowa Computars. I sold the 210mm some time ago and am planning to sell the 240mm and 270mm because the only ULF camera I have now is a 20X24 with a 12X20 reducing back.

Briefly, the 210mm Computar covers 11X14 or 7X17, but just barely. The 240mm Computar covers 7X17 nicely and just covers 8X20. The 270mm Computar covers 8X20 nicely and just covers 12X20. The 305mm Computar covers 12X20 with two or three inches of movement.

The computars are great lenses for the formats they cover because of their wide coverage for the size. They basically have about the same amount of useful coverage as Protar V but have wider aperture and generally cost less. But they cost less mainly because not many people are aware of their great covering power.

Sandy King

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Adam at SK Grimes is currently starting on a special lens for me. I have had 9 Fuji 300mm lenses in barrels that were some kind of lens for making separations, or so I was told. I sent one of them to Adam and he is putting it in a Copal #3. I tried one out in a universal lens holder and put it on my 12x20 Lotus before I gave him the go-ahead. It looked like she would cover wide open. I'll know in about 6-8 weeks. If it covers and has fairly even light coverage I will probably have some made up for anyone interested in a nice wide angle 300mm lens for 12x20. I will keep all informed about the progress. If one does not want a shutter I will consider selling some of them as is in barrel. They all have front and back lens caps and are all mint. These Fuji lenses are not marked with any identification except for a sticker with the Fuji name and part of a bar code. Other than that I am clueless but will be thrilled if it works when Grimes is finished...................TW

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the information Sandy! I will keep my eyes open for either a 270mm or a 305mm Computar.

TW, please keep me informed how your 300mm project works out. Those types of lenses are fairly easy to come by here.

Thanks All!!

Gary

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Gary,

I don't know if you can use a barrel-mount lens but... I have a near mint 240mm f/11 Rodenstock Apo-Graphigon available. Coatings and aperture are flawless. It has a 78° angle of coverage producing an image circle of 392mm at infinity. I don't know if real-world coverage is any greater but maybe someone else here does. PM if you're interested.

Mike

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin