Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,518   Online: 805

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    if my back of the envelope arithmetic is correct, the nominal diagonal of 4x10 and 5x12 are as follows:

4x10: 10.8 inches ( 274 mm )
    5x12: 13.0 inches ( 330 mm )

So, none of the 210mm plasmats will cover the 5x12 format well. Most of them have image circles around 300mm - well shy of the 330mm nominal diagonal of 5x12.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't need a lot of movements since this is primarily for landscape photography. I'll need some rise for shooting the occasional historic building or to prevent convergence of tree tops. Otherwise rear swing/tilt will do fine. I just don't want to image to fall apart on the corners. I'm looking for lenses that are more capable of rendering "technically correct" images rather than the "artistic approach". I hope that makes sense.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Brad...

Yes, that's about right on diagonal measurements. I'm counting on each lens having more decent quality covering power than their specs indicate. I'm fairly certain the Apo Symmar and Apo Sironar-N can cover 5x12 nicely but the G-Claron is a different animal. I've been reading that this series has far more coverage at reasonable quality into the corners than the specs show. That said, I'm sure even the little G-Claron will cover 4x10 with no problems.

I can't afford a 210mm SS XL and I don't want to carry around or handle larger lenses than I really need. Older 200-ish FL lenses, i.e. 210mm SA, are just too big and heavy. I would fiddle around and drop it.

If the lenses I've listed just can't do the job properly that's another thing... I'll move up. Again though, I really don't need much wiggle room.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    So, none of the 210mm plasmats will cover the 5x12 format well. Most of them have image circles around 300mm - well shy of the 330mm nominal diagonal of 5x12.
    The 210mm Apo-Sironar (W) is a very nice match to 5x12, with some room for movement - I've used that combination. The 210mm Super-Symmar HM should also work well, though it's bigger and heavier than the Rodenstock W. Both lenses are rated as covering 80 degrees, with image circles of roughly 350mm at f/22.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You could of course just shoot 4x10 and relish the ample coverage of most 8x10 lenses
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The 210mm Apo-Sironar (W) is a very nice match to 5x12, with some room for movement - I've used that combination. The 210mm Super-Symmar HM should also work well, though it's bigger and heavier than the Rodenstock W. Both lenses are rated as covering 80 degrees, with image circles of roughly 350mm at f/22.

ah, yes. but those are not the garden variety 210mm Plasmats. I'm thinking here of the pedestrian Sironar-N, Sironar-S, APO Symmar, Symmar-S, Nikkor-W, etc...
    Last edited by BradS; 10-01-2009 at 01:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    shen will make up the 5x8 back
    Keith

that's interesting to hear that. I bought my Shen Hao 5x12 not long after they first came out, very nice camera. I asked if they could make a 4x10 reducing back as well, they said no. So has the situation changed?

Are you a Chinese speaker? I always found it difficult to deal with them because of the language barrier. I'd get replies back that made no sense.

Clayton

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Mike

do you intend to enlarge much? If you do I think you'd find the g claron disappointing. I find they're acceptable for contact prints but enlargements show up their short comings.

Clayton

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Please keep the comments coming. I'm paying close attention.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Clayton... yes I want to have the option of making HUGE prints. In fact, I would like the option of making 4x8 or 4x10 foot prints with as much detail as is possible. That's not to say I'll make prints that large but I don't want to be limited by the lens(es). I'm not going to make contact prints.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin