Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,036   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

210mm Lens for 4x10 or 5x12

I'm in a bit of a quandry regarding which 210mm lens to buy for my soon-to-be-purchased pano cam. I'm not yet certain whether to buy a modern 4x10 or a vintage 5x12. The reason for the age difference between formats is because I can't afford a modern 5x12 although I'd really like to shoot that format and I can afford a modern (used) 4x10.

I just bought a very nice 210mm G-Claron and have inquired about a nice Apo Sironar-N. I'm also considering a Apo Symmar (non-L). While size/weight are issues to consider because I don't get around as well as I once did the most important factor is sharpness to the corners with just a little wiggle room. I'll be shooting landscapes mostly.

Given the above crieria I think the G-Claron is the obvious choice for 4x10. My concern is that it won't quite do the job on 5x12 whereas the other two will. The Rodenstock is appealing due to it's greater coverage than the G-Claron but it's smaller/lighter than the Apo Symmar. However, the Apo Symmar is... well is a legendary performer... and it's a brand match to all lenses shorter than 300mm.

I know I'm picking nits but I'd sort of like to keep the same brand names and introducing an odd brand (Rodenstock) in the middle just bothers me... I know I'm a spoiled idiot but I can't help that. However, the cost vs. weight/size of the Apo Sironar-N is a true winner against an Apo Symmar.

Someboby attempt to talk some sense into this weak-minded fool, PLEASE!!

Lens list:
    72mm SA XL (5x10 or smaller)
    110mm SS XL
    150mm SS XL
    210mm G-Claron?? or Apo Sironar-N?? or Apo Symmar??
    300mm Fujinon-C
    450mm Fujinon-C
    600mm Fujinon-C
    Last edited by Mike1234; 09-30-2009 at 07:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would try the G-Claron and take it from there. For what it’s worth, I generally prefer the results I get from my 210mm Dagor type G-Claron over a friends 210mm Sinaron-S (Sironar-N).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you, Uhner!! What is it you prefer about you're G-Claron vs. the Sironar-N?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's not really an answer to your question, Mike, but I like the 150 Nikkor SW on 4x10 very much, and it should cover 5x12 well also.

Also, I have high regard for the Shen 4x10. The nice thing about it is that I have 5x7 and custom 5x8 backs for it. 5x8 is becoming my favourite format now, it's so easy to cut down 8x10 and shen will make up the 5x8 back for ~$300. (I got my 5x8 film holders from chamonix) In fact I am also debating asking Shen for a 5x10 back, a cursory investigation suggests to me that with the 150 it may work well on this camera with a 5x10 back and bag bellows. Just some extra stray thoughts....

Happy shopping!
    Last edited by keithwms; 10-01-2009 at 08:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you for sharing, Keith. I actually just returned a 150mm Nikkor-SW due to some cleaning marks not noticed by the seller. After holding it in in my hands I decided to buy a SS XL. The Nikkor is a beautiful lens but I don't get around as well as I once did and sometimes my hands aren't as steady as they should be so the size/weight are an issue for me. If not for this I would have bought another Nikkor-SW. It's definitely an impressive optic with a near cult following regarding coverage and image quality. The 150 SS XL is also a brother to the 110 SS XL and cousin to the other Schneiders in the group. The Fujinons are very welcome in-laws.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So is the SS XL substantially smaller? The Nikkor is quite a beast of a lens! Getting it on my shen always involves removing the bellows or the GG back.... then again it pretty much stays on there permanently!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Keith, it's still at the PO so I haven't seen it yet but yes, it's about 2/3 the size and weight. The rear element is smaller also.
    Last edited by Mike1234; 10-01-2009 at 09:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keith does your 4x10 have Linhof boards or the Sinar-Linhof adapter? With bigger lenses on my 8x10 it's easier to mount the lenses on a Sinar board.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Linhof boards. But the rear element doesn't fit through the frame of the standard. Well actually it does fit... but just barely at a very odd angle and with some risky prying and so I decided that it's not a good practice. However, habitually unscrewing the rear element is also not good. Maybe I will just purchase an extra standard from Shen.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images

Regarding the 210 G-Claron on 5x12

I have used the 210 G-Claron on 5x12, but you run out of coverage pretty fast if you do a lot of movements. I have since moved my 210 mm shooting to a 210 Kowa-Graphic. I still have my 210 G-Claron however.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin