Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,466   Online: 1089

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Trays for developing

Hi All,

Finally had some time to take the 12x20 out and shoot with it, its a dream to behold. Not to mention a people magnet. I managed to shoot about 8 negatives so far, but haven't developed them due to the lack of suitable trays. Getting large trays here has been a real problem, having them shipped over is rather costly.

I found some trays at the local hardware store they are 22 x 15 inches, a little on the small side but they are completely smooth and very strong.
    Any thoughts on whether this might be too small or if there might be any problems? Up until now I have done all my processing in drums, but thats not longer and option it seems at this size.

Thanks.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You can use the Jobo 2850 drum for 16x20 prints to develop one sheet at a time. The trays you mention should work as long as they are plastic or stainless steel.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    from the limited amount of tray developing that I've done in 4x5 and 8x10, I've always found glass baking pans to be the best. every time I've used plastic trays(even the ones with gulleys on the bottom), I've gotten scratches. with the glass dishes(approx 2-3" deep) I've never gotten scratches of any sort whatsoever.

I've been searching for a large glass dish that can handle negs of this size, but so far no luck.

Otherwise, there are plenty of people on here that use a jobo system for ULF development. I would imagine that you could use a large print drum(without ridges seems to be best from most people's accounts), and use it even in a water bath, rotating by hand.

best of luck though.

Dan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The trays are on the small side for the format. If doing singles I would watch for overdevelopment on the edges if gentle agitation is not used.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Those are fine. I used 16x20 trays when I had a 12x20. As Daniel says don't overagitate. Also you get more even development and less of an edge problem if you reverse the negative front to back halfway thru development.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks all for the help!

I will go ahead and give them a try.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin