Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,700   Online: 925

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    what will it cover,as in inches of film? what value do you place on it? are
    do you have any intrest in a trade.I have an intrest in ulf
    40x50 or bigger. using a camera built out of carbon fiber,which I would have to build .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It will cover (sharply) a plate about equal to it's focal length, or a plate with a 70" diagonal. Artars are generally acknowledged to cover about 46 degrees, but they will at least illuminate quite a bit more than that, much of which may be perfectly usable for contact printing.

Focal lengths longer than about 35" tend to bring relatively less because as one person noted, very few people have both a camera that can support it and enough bellows to use it.

The "sweet spot" for Artars is IMO 30" and 35". possibly up to 47-1/2" although that's stretching a bit. In these focal lengths a larger number of people can use them and there are few alternatives. 24" and shorter, lots of choices and Artars bring much less.

Your lens is rare and has some value as a collectors item, especially with the box, caps, etc. Coated 30" and 35" Artars will bring $750-1000 in barrel on a person-to-person sale, and $1,300-$1,500 in shutter (based on eBay sales and personal purchases over the past two years). Red Dots will bring more than non-Red Dots, and pristine coated lenses with caps and box always bring a premium. Your lens seems to have a 78XXXXX serial, so it's a coated lens made just prior to the Red Dot series. I'd guess your lens would be worth $2,000 - $2,500, but that is a guess and you will be looking hard for a buyer unless it's bought for the collector's value.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Steve thanks for the info.----------Airik7777---I have a strong interst in this lens as a user.If your are interested in talking give me a email or phone# alan-salsman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Airik7777 View Post
    I have posted a few photos of the lens.
    (The CD shown in the one photo is just for a size reference.)

Thanks in advance!

Eric
    OMG... the handle for setting the aperture is almost as big as a cars gear lever! :o
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, I just found this thread and that is a large lens. I just recently acquired an 11x14 Studio Deardorff which uses 8x8 lens boards. It would fit, but I may need to acquire a third bellows extension to fully realize its potential. But before that can happen, first I need to see what my newly acquired 11x14 Wollensak Varium f4 will do. I just cut a hole in an 8x8 board large enough to handle the flange which is 6 1/2"+ across.

Jon
    Everyone has a constitutional right to be an idiot; that does not mean you should exercise your right!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Eric,
    I am new to the forum and looking for an ULF lens and saw you postings. What become of your lens? Is it still available?

Thanks
    Francis Fullam
    Chicago, IL

Shooter
    Large Format
    Eric,
    I understand that you might be willing to part with the lens. I had sent you a note about it recently but had not heard back. Is the lens still available?

Thanks
    Francis Fullam
    Flossmoor, IL

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello,

I'm looking for a 70" focal length lens for my mobile camera obscura. Did you sell yours? Are you interested in
    selling it, and what is the price?

Thanks,

John

Hello,
    I considering parting with a large format lens that I have had for many years. Here is the basic information from the rim:
    C. P. Goerz A.M. Opt. Co. Apochromat ARTAR 70 in. F:16
    Physical dimensions: Approx 6” external diameter. Approx 9” length.
    The lens itself weighs just over 19lbs.

It was used on a custom built, large format graphic arts camera and dates back to the late 40's or early 50's. It is still in very good condition and has a custom wood storage case. It has been locked away in a safe for about 20 years and I have decided that it's time to finally part with it.

Anyone know of sources other than eBay that would be a good place to list such a lens? I know there has to be a very small market for something like this but also want to make sure it ends up somewhere that it can be used or maintained in a collection. If nothing else, it makes a wonderful conversation piece!

I have posted a few photos of the lens.
    (The CD shown in the one photo is just for a size reference.)

Thanks in advance!

Eric[/QUOTE]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin