Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,245   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

70 inch C. P. Goerz Apochromat ARTAR

Hello,
    I considering parting with a large format lens that I have had for many years. Here is the basic information from the rim:
    C. P. Goerz A.M. Opt. Co. Apochromat ARTAR 70 in. F:16
    Physical dimensions: Approx 6” external diameter. Approx 9” length.
    The lens itself weighs just over 19lbs.

It was used on a custom built, large format graphic arts camera and dates back to the late 40's or early 50's. It is still in very good condition and has a custom wood storage case. It has been locked away in a safe for about 20 years and I have decided that it's time to finally part with it.

Anyone know of sources other than eBay that would be a good place to list such a lens? I know there has to be a very small market for something like this but also want to make sure it ends up somewhere that it can be used or maintained in a collection. If nothing else, it makes a wonderful conversation piece!

I have posted a few photos of the lens.
    (The CD shown in the one photo is just for a size reference.)

Thanks in advance!

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Goerz_70in_1.jpg   Goerz_70in_2.jpg   Goerz_70in_3.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    eBay. There are probably only a handful of people in the world that would want a 70" lens and eBay is the best way to find them. Run of the mill crazy people with normal 20 x 24 process cameras aren't likely to have enough bellows length for that lens, but hey--maybe someone is turning their house into a camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can try listing it on the Large Format Photography Forum:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/

Bear in mind that there's a 30-day waiting period there before new members are allowed to post in the classifieds.

But yeah, even on the LF board, potential users of a 70" lens will be few and far between.

Shooter
    35mm
    There was man in New Orleans who had a huge vacuum frame (15' + long) on rails in one room. The other room had a similar, smaller frame for E size sheets of film, also mounted on rails. The wall between these two rooms was his "lens board". No doubt he had a lens not unlike this one. I wonder what happened to that lens.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I built my 20x24 field camera to use this length lens, but I honestly can't imagine actually doing it.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could put this lens on a 4x5 and do large format bird photography with it. That is a massive lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dear kind sir,

I wonder, please, can you tell me, this fit my Canon EOS DSLR? I am professional photograpzkxher I looking for lens I use for fine art lens for sport, portrait, landscape, candid, fasjzkxion, nude, auto, animal, leaf, and perszkxonal thing.

Regards,

Joe Smith
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-09-2009 at 06:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    That lens would swallow a DSLR for breakfast.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heavy lenses are a PITA. I have a 1200 mm Apo Tessar which I would love to use but at 23 lbs it needs it's own tripod. It was ok on my big enlarger but otherwise a paperweight.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Let us know when and where you post it, I'm intereted to see how much buzz it generates.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin