Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,794   Online: 1074

Shooter
    Large Format

11x14 holder specs - help!

Hello everyone; I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm trying to build an 11x14 film holder. But I'm out here in the sticks (I live in southern Tasmania) without models to work from; I have no holders or film. Hence I'm trying to work from the ANSI specifications which are published on the earthlink (http://home.earthlink.net/~eahoo/page8/filmhold.html) but I've come to doubt the accuracy of some of their specs. The numbers for 'exposure height' and 'exposure width' cannot be right. These dimensions specify the opening of the film holder when the darkslide is pulled out, I assume. For example: the exposure height listed for 8x10 is 10.026". That's longer than the film! My Lisco Regal 8x10 holders measure 9.280". Likewise for 'exposure width' my Lisco measures 7.625 while the ANSI spec is 7.850". Something's wrong here. The ANSI numbers for 5x7 also appear to be wrong. My Lisco Regal 5x7 holder opening measures 6.370" x 4.590" while the ANSI spec is 7.010"x 4.850". This can't be right. I proceed on the assumption that the 11x14 specs are out as well. The ANSI exposure height spec is given at 14.086". Again, that's longer then the film itself. I was hoping that someone out there would be kind enough to report accurate measurements of the openings of their reliable film holders (like S&S, Lotus or equivalent) for 11x14 (and 7x17 if possible). Also could someone post accurate measures for 11x14 film itself? I assume it's a bit under the nominal size. Either inch or metric is fine. Thank you, Kevin Frost.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a thought but could those dimensions be for the "well" the film sits in? If you are building them only for yourself; I do not think you have to follow any rules. I would make the opening exposed by removing the darkslide 3/16" to 1/4" smaller than the film dimensions on each side.
    No doubt someone here will provide accurate information. Sounds like an interesting project.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

The critical dimensions are on the S&S Holder website.

Check it out.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you for the replies. The S&S specs get me the right opening hight (I think) - by subtracting the flap opening width from the rib lock distance, further subtracting the rib lock width and the 4 millimeter and something width from the edge of the opening to the rib lock chamfer. With the width - I'm supposing that the film width, plus a bit, (I'm thinking of two millimeters) subtracted from the overall width (in this case 12 15/16") gives the stile width (divided by 2). I'm just wondering if I should make it an even 11" on the assumption that the film width is always less than the nominal size. Like with my 8x10 Lisco the septum width is exactly 8". Have people had problems with film being oversized in width, that is actually over 8" or 11" and so on? This is what I'm wondering.

About the ANSI hight and width dimensions referring to the tray area, or septum area, yes, I wondered about that to. But again the numbers don't work out. The hight is good, just a little bit over. But the width specs are just a little bit under; you wouldn't be able to feed film into a slot as tight as this. But all the other numbers on the ANSI chart look about right. So I'm still scratching my head with this one. Anyway, thanks again for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Frost View Post
    Thank you for the replies. The S&S specs get me the right opening hight (I think) - by subtracting the flap opening width from the rib lock distance, further subtracting the rib lock width and the 4 millimeter and something width from the edge of the opening to the rib lock chamfer. With the width - I'm supposing that the film width, plus a bit, (I'm thinking of two millimeters) subtracted from the overall width (in this case 12 15/16") gives the stile width (divided by 2). I'm just wondering if I should make it an even 11" on the assumption that the film width is always less than the nominal size. Like with my 8x10 Lisco the septum width is exactly 8". Have people had problems with film being oversized in width, that is actually over 8" or 11" and so on? This is what I'm wondering.

About the ANSI hight and width dimensions referring to the tray area, or septum area, yes, I wondered about that to. But again the numbers don't work out. The hight is good, just a little bit over. But the width specs are just a little bit under; you wouldn't be able to feed film into a slot as tight as this. But all the other numbers on the ANSI chart look about right. So I'm still scratching my head with this one. Anyway, thanks again for the responses.
    Just contact Sandy King at S&S Holders directly. Sandy is a great guy and I would bet that he would be willing to assist you with your questions.

Cheers!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin