Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,483,005   Online: 785

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebes View Post
    It seems that this thread has gotten a bit off topic. I was wondering, how many people have went from 4x5 to ULF without shooting 8x10 or even 5x7?

I was planning to get an 8x10 soon but I would eventually prefer something larger... if I get an 8x10 it will probably become my main camera, rather than my 4x5, and I would want to spend as much on it as I have seen some 11x14s or even 12x20s sell for. I eventually want a 12x20 but that is quite a jump up in size.

Would it be a mistake to jump from 4x5 to ULF? When I started with 4x5 I came from 35mm, this seems a similar jump but maybe I am delusional...
    I went from 4x5 to 8x10 and now 12x20. Costs aside, I suggest you stop at 8x10 first. The jump from 4x5 to 12x20 while not impossible is difficult I think. I would have never made the jump without using 8x10 for a while. My 12x20 is much harder to move around than my 8x10 which I can carry on my back.

Just my 2 yen.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    Somebody finally made me a digital pic of my new camera..
    I have been making negs with this camera and I now have so many printing possibilities that it makes my head spin. This thing handles extremely well and the rig is light to carry on my back..happy..happy...happy!..EC

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I'm finally venturing whole-hog into ULF territory - I've acquired a 14x17 Canham. 11x14 pales in comparison to this beast.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ok- the big beast just arrived today in FedEx - WOW! I'll post some pics of it when I can get it set up on the tripod. I'm actually quite surprised at how light the thing is, and how compact. It actually folds up slimmer than my 5x7/5x12 Canham. I'm just waiting for the lensboard adapter to arrive so I can use my existing lenses mounted in Linhof boards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scott,

Looking forward to the photos of the 14x17". - In comparison to the smaller camera would be interesting.

Tom

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Well, I'm finally venturing whole-hog into ULF territory - I've acquired a 14x17 Canham. 11x14 pales in comparison to this beast.
    I know this post is a few months old but I'd love to see the pic's. I just got two 14x17 walnut holders from Sandy King today and based on my drawings you are right. My 11x14 will pale in comparison. Can't wait to start and finish this beast. It will be beast #3

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim, would like to see pictures of your beast #3 as it progresses from a pile of lumber to a finished camera.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhcfires View Post
    Jim, would like to see pictures of your beast #3 as it progresses from a pile of lumber to a finished camera.
    Michael I'll try. May have to be cell phone camera shots unless I borrow my neighbors digital.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Pics of the 14x17

here are a few snaps- they only show the camera from the rear, but I think the self-portrait really gives you an idea of the scale of the thing - my head and shoulders are probably a bit larger than life-size on the ground glass. To do that, I was using a Nikkor 450mm M lens, so that was somewhere in the region of 3 feet of bellows extension, which is still NOT the maximum for the camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0088.JPG   IMG_0089.JPG   Me1417icon.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    And if you think THAT'S big, I was just out in San Francisco this weekend and got to see the 20x24 Polaroid in the studio. THAT is huge. Certainly NOT man-portable or suitable for field use. The base for the stand is WELDED, and the uprights look like they could do double-duty as I-beams.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin