Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,117   Online: 859

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 267891011121314 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    And if you think THAT'S big, I was just out in San Francisco this weekend and got to see the 20x24 Polaroid in the studio. THAT is huge. Certainly NOT man-portable or suitable for field use. The base for the stand is WELDED, and the uprights look like they could do double-duty as I-beams.
    Thanks for posting the photos of the camera Scott. It makes my 8x10" look like a compact. Thinking about the 20x24 polaroid camera, while I realise that camera is huge from Scott Sheppard's feature about http://20x24studio.com/ (New York) - http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/i...tv/id335449202 - I understand that Keith Canham, Richard Ritter, and Lotus View are able to make more portable units; particularly with regard to Sandy King's camera: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...kingsultr.html . Do you have any view on maximum camera size for field use?

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Thanks for posting the photos of the camera Scott. It makes my 8x10" look like a compact. Thinking about the 20x24 polaroid camera, while I realise that camera is huge from Scott Sheppard's feature about http://20x24studio.com/ (New York) - http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/i...tv/id335449202 - I understand that Keith Canham, Richard Ritter, and Lotus View are able to make more portable units; particularly with regard to Sandy King's camera: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...kingsultr.html . Do you have any view on maximum camera size for field use?

Tom
    The 20x24 Polaroid is not man-portable by virtue of the polaroid back with the processing unit built in. I'm sure bigger field cameras have been made than 20x24, but that seems to be about the upper limit for most people. Anything bigger and you start running out of lenses that will cover the format, you'll have to special order your film to the tune of a $10-15K minimum order, and just about anything else you want will have to be custom made at significant expense.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The 20x24 Polaroid is not man-portable by virtue of the polaroid back with the processing unit built in. I'm sure bigger field cameras have been made than 20x24, but that seems to be about the upper limit for most people. Anything bigger and you start running out of lenses that will cover the format, you'll have to special order your film to the tune of a $10-15K minimum order, and just about anything else you want will have to be custom made at significant expense.
    The Polaroid 20x24s weigh between 235-275 lbs depending on which camera....while not easily portable, we DO do some location work with them....with the proper set up and support, the resluts can be pretty cool. "Field" cameras for conventional film use can be MUCH lighter....I make one that is around 40lbs, and Richard Ritter uses carbon fiber for a very light camera.
    Tracy Storer
    Polaroid 20x24 Studio West
    www.mammothcamera.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TracyStorer View Post
    "Field" cameras for conventional film use can be MUCH lighter....I make one that is around 40lbs, and Richard Ritter uses carbon fiber for a very light camera.
    The 20X24" field camera that RR made for me weighs less than 20 lbs, and has about 45" of bellows draw. Three walnut holders weigh about the same as the camera.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy,

How much use have you made of the 20x24" so far; last I read, you were looking into ordering film from China?

Tom

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Back to the Progression to ULF. I was attending photography class one day. I am 70 and graduated from college the first time in 1964. The professor said Lois Conner was coming to town, would show her 7x17 China work, critique our work and give a platinum workshop. I was shooting an RZ67 then.

Along came a view camera class, a 4x5, an 8x10, Michael Mutmansky came to town to install the 8x10 enlarger he had built and then sold. Michael had 7x17 work of a railroad workshop in View Camera Magazine. I said bring your camera. I think you will like the twenty abandoned green houses, weathered by Lake Erie, that I am shooting in 8x10. I asked him to compose and think out loud and I was sold. Later I met Dick Phillips but he had run out of the fifteen 7x17s he made. Michael introduced me to Clay Harmon who wanted to sell his Phillips 7x17 so he could have multiple formats on his Canham. Then came a baby jogger, up to four mile walks from the car, a CPP-2 Jobo, and Rollo Pyro in tubes. Fred Newman says this year’s allotted film will be here Wednesday. Good thing, I only have 25 sheets left in the freezer.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Sandy,

How much use have you made of the 20x24" so far; last I read, you were looking into ordering film from China?

Tom
    Not as much as I expected when I bought it but I still have plans for a few big projects with the camera. However, I will likely be using it more with my 12X20 and 10X24 reducing backs than with 20X24, partly due to the availability of film, partly to the fact that I really like using this camera with the panoramic formats because it allows easy switch between vertical and horizontal formats.

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In about 1968 or 1969 my girlfriend (now my wife) and I were at a garage sale. There was a broken 8x10 view camera (a Seneca Competitor) hanging on the wall of an old barn. They hadn't even thought of selling it. When asked they said they would take $1.50 for it. After some repair work I started using it. I still use it sometimes, even though I have better cameras.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Since I was asked to post some pictures of the finished 14x17 I will do so. Took it out to Joshua Tree for a show and tell last weekend but to much wind to use it. I may have to wait until Yosemite!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14x14-camera-on-tripod-side.jpg   14x17-on-tripod-front-shot.jpg   14x17-on-tripod-side-shot.jpg   14x17-with-Darlot-close-up.jpg   front-std-14x17-with-Darlot.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Love it!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin