Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,204   Online: 849

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format

google "transit cases"

I occasionally find surplus military transit cases that often would accomodate just about anything you could find film for. The Army uses them for all kinds of stuf, and are often waterproof. You'll find a lot for night vision goggles, which are too small, but I've seen them for field computers, rocket launchers, Satcoms, etc. that would proably be large enough.
    Now if I can just get my 20x24 built.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sorry, I was younger then and now I have fewer brain cells and that's stretching it.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    The maximum dimensions of the case are 21.25 x 10.75 x 21.5 inches, which would be approximately 54 x 27 x 54 cm, and there is a foam block in the cover that could be removed covering about half the depth that's about 5 cm thick, so it wouldn't fit the 12x20, but might work for Dave's 14x17.

My camera is 18" square including knobs and not too thick, which is pretty compact as 11x14" cameras with reversible backs go.
    When I first read the post earlier, I checked the specs on the B and H website and I determined the 14 x 17 wouldn't fit. I'll measure it again in the morning (it is in its pelican 1640 nest right now...I pack in in that when I put it in the back of the truck..it is not handy but is most protective, it has wheels etc. If I had to ship it I would pay the extra weight for the 1640 etc) It would really be nice to have something I could carry on.

I have the G 5 tower and it measures 18 3/4 x 20 1/8 x 8.

With the knobs approx 23 x 22 x 8 would work, plus padding Interior dimensions . It is really hard to find a case like that. I have built one out of wood with an open top and have used it also out of the 2nd door of the truck...I wrap the camera in a naugahyde wrap and it is easy to open the door and slide it out. So far the camera has been via truck, only in Arizona and Nevada.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by totalamateur View Post
    I occasionally find surplus military transit cases that often would accomodate just about anything you could find film for. The Army uses them for all kinds of stuf, and are often waterproof. You'll find a lot for night vision goggles, which are too small, but I've seen them for field computers, rocket launchers, Satcoms, etc. that would proably be large enough.
    I have one of those waterproof ex-military cases... Says "30 25mm armor piercing shells" on the side - Does not go down well with TSA & fellow passengers when flying as carry-on

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Tenba G5 tower case is definitely too big to use as a carry-on, but it's designed to be padded well enough to ship in checked luggage.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If the G 5 case is substantial enough to be shipped checked luggage and can survive the conveyor belts etc. then that would be a plus over my Pelican 1640. Although it is build like a tank, and seemingly crush proof, it does weigh in the 30 lb range and with the 32 lb weight of the camera the added shipping is surely a chunk of change... so far I haven t flown with it but am planning to hit the east coast which would be an airline trip. A road trip is planned for the midwest and then down to the Florida Keys.

Side note: I use an Offshore Angler cordura case, designed for fishing gear for 8 x 10 (Wista)carry-on and it works ok. They are made in various sizes. The one I have is 18 x 22 x 8, however padding is minimal.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    I have one of those waterproof ex-military cases... Says "30 25mm armor piercing shells" on the side - Does not go down well with TSA & fellow passengers when flying as carry-on
    Funny - made a little beer land on the screen.

At one point I had a "secret" sticker stuck on a laptop to be funny. Had to explain that one as well (and remove the sticker)

Where did you get yours? At the risk of flooding my suplier:
    http://www.murphyjunk.bizland.com/
    He ships.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by totalamateur View Post
    Where did you get yours? At the risk of flooding my suplier:
    http://www.murphyjunk.bizland.com/
    He ships.
    Picked the ammo case* up from an army surplus store on a trip to the States back in '96. Had fun & games flying back with it then, heaven knows what it would be like now...

* Very similar to this one
    Last edited by paul_c5x4; 05-28-2010 at 10:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin