Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,909   Online: 961

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RD Artar

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

RD Artar

Hi All,

I keep wanting a longer lens than 600mm for my 12x20. My 600mm Fuji C is a great kens , but at times it it just doesn't quite have the reach that I would like. Searching that auction site and a few dealers I have found several 30 and 35 inch RD Artars. All are barrel lenses, but that is not a problem.

I have never used an artar before, so I am not sure what to expect. Also being a barrel lens, not even sure what a fair price is for one if these things.

If anyone has any insights, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Check the large format photography forum...there is s 35 " red dot in shutter.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    They are fantastic sharp lenses imo. I use a 19 and 24" currently and love them. I don't know what a good price would be for the barrel lenses but if the price is reasonable to you I would pick one up as there are not that many choices in the 30+ inch focal lengths. Make sure you have the bellows capacity
    regards
    erik

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Gary,
    The goerz RD Artar is a fabulous lens for large format and ULF. I don't shoot anything larger than 8x10 for which i have two RD Artars, the 19" and the 24 " both in Ilex shutters. If you like sharp and good contrast that is about the best you can get. I don't have the 600 Fuji but i have the 450 and i consider the 19" RD a better lens than the 450 fuji. Only disadvantage is the size of the shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't rule out Apo Nikkors as they are just as good.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a 24" RD once but I sold it. When I look at the few 8x10" negs I shot with it, I am always amazed. I should have kept the lens and sold the camera. A wonderful piece of glass. A friend of mine has practically every focal length RD made, mounted by SK Grimes. He uses nothing else. That should tell you something.

Here is a snapshot of the realized costs of putting a lens in shutter. A Copal #3 will cost about $375 - $400. If the lens screws directly into the shutter like the 355 G Claron then the costs for calibrating and engraving an f stop scale on the shutter is minimal. When you have a large lens it will inherently need a good bit of machining to get it into a modern shutter. Spending $400+ for the shop time to put a lens in shutter is not unreasonable. Add to that the costs of the quality lens and you can see that dropping $1200 and up is not unreasonable. When you consider it an investment in your photography that will put a smile on your face every time you see the results from it you do not have buyers remorse.

In the longer lenses you should carefully consideration the net weight and if your camera is capable of managing it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    what are the normal taking apertures for 12x20
    I'd think with such small apertures f45/65/90 -esp. since contacting-
    any film, possible developer loss of speed, a filter
    what good is a shutter cept for convenience?

I just ask cause if youre ALWAYS in the 1/2 to seconds range ..why bother

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coriana6jp View Post

I have never used an artar before, so I am not sure what to expect. Also being a barrel lens, not even sure what a fair price is for one if these things.

If anyone has any insights, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Gary
    The RD Artar in longer focal lengths, say 24", 30", 35" AND 40", is an excellent lens. Apo-Nikkors and Apo-Ronars of the same focal length are also great lenses for ULF, and often less expensive than the RD Artar.

On the other hand it is my opinion, based on personal experience, that the 600mm Fuji C is a slightly better lens than the 24" RD Artar and other long process lenses, if for no other reason because it is multi-coated. However, for practical photography with ULF almost any lens that covers the format is more than adequate for our needs.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 06-06-2010 at 10:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi All,

Thanks for the helpful information. I will have to get my hands on one of them at some point. I did see the one on the LFF, it came around just a few weeks before my tax refund is due in.(If it was just two weeks later!). I am not worried about the camera being able to handle it, it should be just fine.

Thanks again!

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin