Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,790   Online: 1038

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10X12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

10X12

Has anyone had any experience with 10x12 cameras and / or 10X12 film?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Curt....My friend who owns a camera store here in town had 3 Deardorffs. Two were 11x14 and one was 10x12. I bought one of the 11x14s years ago and he still has the other two to this day. Never shot the 10x12 but did notice that you could get 10x12 film from the special runs from Ilford the last time I checked. It just looked like a 8x10 on HGH. Other than that, I had no interest in it but it was for sale at the time..................TW

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt, you can get 10x12 x-ray film. If one has the camera and holder it would make it very affordable.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim I was thinking about making a camera back and some holders for 10X12, I like the size and was going to use XRay film with it. Have you had any experience with Green Sensitive Latitude compared to the Green Standard TMat G film? I stalled out with the digital negative / printer situation and now see the XRay film as a real practical solution.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I shoot a Canham 10 x 12 for both film based Pt/Pd Gumover work and my wet plate work. I LOVE the format. PM if you want any specific questions answered but the format itself is great, significantly bigger than 8 x 10 but not as monstrous as 11 x 14. At least that's the Goldilocks feel it gives to me......just right

monty

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt, I've used the green sensitive film in 8x10 and 11x14 and find it very easy to get good negatives for carbon printing. I rate it at ISO 80 and develop it in pyro. Gives me what I need.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all for the help. Jim I'm going to work on a camera, as I said the digital method just bogged me down, it's not that I couldn't master it but I sit too much already so I figure if I'm going to make a system from scratch might as well pick a size larger than 8x10. It struck me that 10X12 was a nice size to display. I hope your work is giving you some time to make prints, the prints you showed at the workshop were very stunning. Between you and Vaughn I've seen some excellent Carbon prints.

Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, I just ordered a 100 sheet box of Green 8X10 to work with on development while I work on the camera for another format. Which Pyro do you use on the film? Oh, no, I forgot about hangers for a new format, I have hangers up to 8x10 but not 10X12 or 11X14, tray processing in a flat bottom tray, yuck.

Thanks,
    Curt

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Jim, I just ordered a 100 sheet box of Green 8X10 to work with on development while I work on the camera for another format. Which Pyro do you use on the film? Oh, no, I forgot about hangers for a new format, I have hangers up to 8x10 but not 10X12 or 11X14, tray processing in a flat bottom tray, yuck.

Thanks,
    Curt
    Curt, I've had several personal issues over the last couple of months that have gotten in the way of my work and printing. Very difficult times and more to come. I use the Pyrocat-HD for all of my film. 1:1:200 dilution in tanks for the 8x10 x-ray film and I need to build the hangers for the 11x14. I have the materials but have not gotten the time yet. The great thing about x-ray film other than being cheap is that you can use a red safelight during development and judge the contrast need for carbon printing. Hangers are the way to go. I've gotten some nice prints from x-ray film and as I recall I showed several at the workshop along with the negatives. Nice to experiment and not break the bank. The nice thing for me is that I use the 10x12 x-ray film as a tissue support for my 8x10 carbon prints.

Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Just be very careful with this film as it scratches very very easily. If you are going to use trays, use flat bottomed ones and slip the film inside a large sized ziplock bag (slip film in and then pour developer inside the bag and then inflate with a bit of air). This helps prevent scratches.
    Also, it has pretty bad reciprocity characteristics. I posted my curves somewhere in this forum. Some people claim that the film doesn't need compensation, but it does. Curves don't lie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin