Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,493   Online: 877

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I too received an unsolicited email from Chris Corner, but was very suspicious. I did a quick web search of his email address and found that he had been trying to scam people on other forums. I thought about phoning him collect (reversing the charges) and telling him off. It is a UK number, but probably a cell/mobile. He could be using it from anywhere in the world...

~Dom

Here's the text of his email to me. Not the kind of grammar/spelling you would expect from a Brit!

Hi Dear

My name is Chris Corner from London...I am contacting you regarding your advert you place on website that you are looking for the above subject...I have it in very good condition and if still interested,Let me know and i will forward you details of the item and i will also need your shipping address and telephone number to calculate the shipping cost to your destination.My mode of payment is Via Paypal,Western union,MoneyGram..Bank wire transfer..Let me know which method you prefer and i ship the next day after payment has been receive..My phone number is +447024029617..Feel free to call me anytime for further discussion or email me back thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is EXACTLY the same I e-mail I received word for word! I'm curious though, how he intends to collect the item after it is shipped to his London "residence..."?? Does he have an accomplice in UK?

By the way, what the heck is "advert?" and I hate being called "Dear" by a total stranger!!!!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    By the way, what the heck is "advert?":
    I think he's trying to sound like a Brit.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I got that exact same email as Dom twice now. Seems like our little scammer is blanketing all WTB ads hoping to get someone to bite.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if the letters received contain a paypal usename/email
    forward them ( long / full headers ) to spoof@paypal.com
    they can shut his account down there too ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    if the letters received contain a paypal usename/email
    forward them ( long / full headers ) to spoof@paypal.com
    they can shut his account down there too ...
    Good idea! I've forwarded the email to PayPal!
    ~Dom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is just attempted fraud as of now...

You'd think that sooner or later someone who is actually smart, well spoken, and less obvious would try one of these scams...
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I think it is deeper than WTB classifieds because I never asked for an item there , but was discussing it on LFF , the text is exactly like Obtong describes.

Quote Originally Posted by coriana6jp View Post
    I got that exact same email as Dom twice now. Seems like our little scammer is blanketing all WTB ads hoping to get someone to bite.

Gary

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtong View Post
    Here's the text of his email to me. Not the kind of grammar/spelling you would expect from a Brit!
    That's right. Absolutely no one in the UK spells things wrong or uses incorrect grammar!

Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    By the way, what the heck is "advert?"
    The shortened form of advertisement - another word which Americans do not pronounce properly!

(the i sounds as in his not size).

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    That's right. Absolutely no one in the UK spells things wrong or uses incorrect grammar!

Steve.

My Grammar's perfect, Steve, despite being over 100 years old and in a residential home. I wonder if this will lose something when being read by a naitve of the U.S.

pentaxuser

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin