Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,900   Online: 1017

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

easter NY, 2 miles so. of Canadian border
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Are you kidding? advertis' not advertize?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    That's right. Absolutely no one in the UK spells things wrong or uses incorrect grammar!
    Of course not, if they're English. Everything they say is automatically English!

The shortened form of advertisement - another word which Americans do not pronounce properly!

(the i sounds as in his not size).

Steve.
    I hear and see that more here in the US. Some are saying advert and pronouncing it as "ad-vert'-iss-ment". British terms like "gone missing" are becoming common, too.
    I spell it advertise and advertisement and won a battle with a teacher at age 13 to get him to allow that it was an acceptable spelling. Though I do pronounce it the typical American way, which is to attach 'ment' to 'advertise'.

Next you guys will have us saying "la-bor'-uh-tree" and "Ruh-nay'-suns".
    It must be all those BBC shows on our PBS.

EDIT: STFU, Sirius!!

(Not that I wish to start a con-traw'-ver-see)
    Last edited by lxdude; 10-28-2010 at 11:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I spell it advertise and advertisement and won a battle with a teacher at age 13 to get him to allow that it was an acceptable spelling.
    Getting a thirteen year old to agree to anything is difficult, but getting a thirteen year old teacher to agree is almost unheard of!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Getting a thirteen year old to agree to anything is difficult, but getting a thirteen year old teacher to agree is almost unheard of!

Steve
    Damn, now I gotta edit it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by premo View Post
    Are you kidding? advertis' not advertize?
    In advertise the i sounds as in high and the s has a z* sound. In advertisement the i sounds as in his.

* and that letter is zed, not zee.

Of course not, if they're English. Everything they say is automatically English!
    He's got it!

I spell it advertise and advertisement and won a battle with a teacher at age 13 to get him to allow that it was an acceptable spelling. Though I do pronounce it the typical American way, which is to attach 'ment' to 'advertise'.
    Good (for the first part).

Next you guys will have us saying "la-bor'-uh-tree" and "Ruh-nay'-suns".
    Not sure if the US spelling for renaissance is different to ours but you don't say mediŠval correctly!

It must be all those BBC shows on our PBS.(Not that I wish to start a con-traw'-ver-see)
    Controversy is one that even our BBC are pronouncing wrongly at the moment. This will be dealt with severely!!

There is an advertisement on British TV at the moment for Rosetta Stone, the language learning system which manages to mis-pronounce the word pronunciation. It is said as if it were spelled pronounciation (which it isn't).

Ironically it is used in the sentence "this system wil teach you the correct pronounciation (sic) of every word".

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 10-31-2010 at 04:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, we spell renaissance the same but usually pronounce it ren'-uh-zonce.

I say meh-di-eev'-al, but a lot of us say meh-dee'-val. I guess we really ought to pronounce it the way you do, (how do you say it?) as you guys were around then and we weren't! But fat chance getting us to spell it the way you do!

That's hilarious about Rosetta Stone. I haven't heard that error in their ads here. (Sorry, meant to say adverts.)

I do hope the BBC pronunciation of controversy doesn't result in ak-rim'-o-nee.
    Last edited by lxdude; 10-31-2010 at 05:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I say meh-di-eev'-al, but a lot of us say meh-dee'-val. I guess we really ought to pronounce it the way you do, (how do you say it?) as you guys were around then and we weren't! But fat chance getting us to spell it the way you do!
    We say it the same way as you (I think) med - ee - ee - val. Four syllables instead of the three which most of your countrymen employ. The US method shortens the middle bit into one ee sound.

fat chance getting us to spell it the way you do!
    Don't you have an Š key on your keyboard?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Kindly beware of these types of emails. Looking totally spam email...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Definitely sounds hinky. Caveat emptor.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin