Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,988   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

fraud or not fraud? Beware.

Hi everybody,

i recently posted in WTB classified looking for a 8x10 arca swiss rear body and i have been contacted last friday by a certain Chris Corner (cc25corner@gmail) asking if i still was looking for it, which i was... mentioning he lives in London, including phone number etc... and of course western union payment! I sent a reply on which i did not receive any answer and decided to call this person. Mr Corner (sounded Asian with a strong accent when talking english) answered asking me to put my wish list on a mail to him, which i did and you will find below his two replies. Now, i would not pay anything yet as i strongly feel the fraud but, could be mistaken... If somebody would know this person, please advise otherwise beware! I don't know about you but i am getting more and more mails with those kind of swindles!!! really upseting!

qte
    Thanks for your email...I have all the item you mention and in great condition..They look very clean and there is no dent or scratch on it....I will be asking 300GBP including shipping and insurance to your doorstep...My mode of payment is via western union money transfer..As soon as payment is receive,I will package and i will ship and i will forward you the shipping tracking details...

For payment,you are to locate any western union office or go to www.westernunion.com and click on send money online,then enter my name and address below and the money will be transfer to me

Receiver Name.Chris Corner

Address.22 STANEDGE GROVE Wigan, Lancashire, WN3 5PL England

As soon as payment is transfer,you are to forward me the following details below

Sender Name

Address

Mtcn Number

Exact money sent

As soon as i get this information,i will package and i will ship and i will forward you the shipping tracking details thanks and is nice doing business with you

Thanks for your phone call....Your english is really perfect..I am so surprise that you are from France..because you speak english very well..I don't have a camera and scanner that is why i did not send you pictures of the complete Arca swiss 8x10..I have the complete Thanks for your phone call...if you can confirm by email the list of parts you want and i will get back to you with my asking price and also forward me your home address for shipping figuration thanks and hope to hear from you soon

Uqte

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should never buy an item whith payment by Western Union Payment, because often this is fraud
    and not seriously. If there is nobody out there who knows this guy i don´t want to buy this.
    I hope you get a serious offer next time.

Best whishes
    Heiko

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you suggested that you meet face to face to complete the deal?
    A trip from Paris to London isn't that far, and if it is a fraud he will most likely be reluctant to meet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You have every right to be nervous about this guy - His name does not appear on the electoral register, and the name Chamberlain turns up on a search for this property.

Another clue is the poor use of english and the insistence on a Western Union transfer.

Oh, and Wigan is a long, long way from London....

P.S. Check out the APUG profile for this guy.
    Last edited by paul_c5x4; 07-26-2010 at 07:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks like you're right see this link.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by YOP92270 View Post
    Thanks for your phone call....Your english is really perfect..
    Unlike his which is terrible!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This is probably one of the rare occassions where the maxim 'never cut corners' should be ignored!

John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks to all of you, but we better be more and more carefull those days. that's the third times in a month...

Brhds
    Yann

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    Have you suggested that you meet face to face to complete the deal?
    A trip from Paris to London isn't that far, and if it is a fraud he will most likely be reluctant to meet.
    Besides, who wouldn't prefer to be paid in cash-money instead of a Western Union money order?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had the same person respond to my WTB classified via e-mail few days ago. It was so obvious it wasn't from a genuine APUGer... while he claims to live in England with an English sounding name, his grammar was very poor and choice of words were decidedly that of a non-native speaker. Called me "dear", and kept referring to the item as "item" such as "above referenced item." Also, a typical APUGer will know what most serious photographers look for in certain item and describe it carefully and to the point. It was very generic.

Anyway, I am not responding to this e-mail. I only do business with established APUGers.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin