Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,773   Online: 816

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Interested in shooting larger then 8x10

I've been shooting 8x10 for 7 years and have become interested in shooting with a larger negative. Does anyone on this forum know of a reasonable way to somehow rent a camera and holders bigger then 11x14? I want to get my hands on a camera and do some tests to help decide whether or not an ultra large format camera is something I want to invest in. Thanks!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Welcome to Apug. Where in the world are you? If not rent, perhaps you are near some one who could show you his equipment and or spend some time shooting.

John Powers
    7x17 and 8x10.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Good point John. I'm in Brooklyn, New York.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Okay. Well a little far from my house and offer. Perhaps someone else on Apug will offer.

Are you familiar with the Large Format Forum?
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/index.php
    Many of the ulf people read both this forum and the LFF. Some just read one or the other. I would sign up there also and try my suggested approach.

If you are not overwhelmed with response either place, then I would wait, read, respond, become a known commodity, then privately PM or email people you have read are local with the same request.

The approach I used was that I was buying an 8x10 enlarger from someone in middle PA. I had some things he wanted. After realizing that I was an all thumbs retiring salesman, he as an engineer wanted to be sure the enlarger was installed properly. I had seen an article including some of his work with 7x17. I said I knew a place that might appeal. He brought the camera. He asked what I wanted out of the experience. I said I had shot 8x10 there, but I wanted to see what it would be like in 7x17. I said just go about your thing, but think out loud and let me watch and ask questions. That appealed to him. We spent the day and I started looking for a 7x17. He eventually put me in contact with a friend who was about to sell. It was a classic win-win situation where we both gave and gained.

John

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for sharing John. I will check out the largeformat forum as well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bruce Barlow is hosting an "open house" in early October. Bruce is in SW NH and in addition to exhibiting photographs will be holding a "Richard Ritter Extravaganza." Richard builds LF and ULF cameras. I plan on being there with my 7x17 and would be more than happy to show you the ropes.

Please see this thread:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=62801
    Last edited by jgjbowen; 08-16-2010 at 05:57 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add thread
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Richard and Bruce are also offering a ULF intro workshop, which is described in this thread; http://www.apug.org/forums/forum162/...14-2010-a.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Richard tells me he'll have an 11x14 and a 7x17 available for the November "8x10 Tire Kicker" Workshop that you'd be able to make pictures with. We still have two open slots as of August 17. You'd get to use either for the two-and-a-half days. We'd probably have to charge you a higher material cost, or better yet, charge per-exposure rather than a flat fee. Details, details...

If you just want to fondle, the October Open House will have them, too, but probably not for actual use unless you make arrangements with Richard. It might be possible, but it's up to him.
    Bruce Barlow
    author, "Finely Focused" and "More Finely Focused"
    www.bwbarlow.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i have an 1114 studio camera you can shoot some giant petzval portrait lenses with if you like. sorry nothing bigger right now.

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Bruce. I am going to check out the thread you mentioned and the workshop. Maybe the open house is a good place to start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin