Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,433   Online: 836

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The bellows extension has less to do with the lens choice and is more to do with the actual design of the camera. You need to decide whether the camera is to be double or triple extension, that's compared to a standard lens for the format. Double extension allows 1:1 focus with a standard lens.

Typically a 10x8 camera with a 300mm/12" lens has an extension of approx 24"-27" and a triple extension version around 36". Scale that up for your 14x11 camera and 36" may well be practical without the hassle of adding an additional extension rail.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    What will you be doing with the camera? A 600mm lens on my camera (extends to 36") won't focus to give a head & shoulders photograph. Sure, you can get head & shoulders with a shorter FL lens, but you have to decide if that's what you want.

John

When you contemplate how long your bellows should be on your 11x14 please consider how heavy your longest lens would be at this focal length and make sure that you design your support members to handle and "balance" this weight properly. This includes materials deflection properties and insuring that your tripod screw is sufficiently sturdy. A bit of research as to the range of weight of the optics that you could utilize would be well advised. The numbers could surprise you.

Personally I would make sure that my rail proportions for the front standard were at least as stout as the Deardorff V11. If you need some dimensions for the V11 I would be more than willing to provide you with some data.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Michael, I would love to know the width and height of your front rails. The bed design that I have in mind is similar to your v11, but a little more like an Ebony. As long as you got your tape out, it would be interesting to know the back width, and the bed length. Thanks for the offer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian, its going to be triple (the bed plus front and rear sliding rails). Three is only one more set of rails, doesn't seem like much more work. Its the same design as the 4x5 that I built.

John, I have no Idea what I'm going to use the camera for. I'm not into people. Most everybody I know runs from me when they see a camera. I just want to not be limited by design.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim, thats reassuring, if I understand it right, with your 12" lens focused 1:1 with 36" bellows you still have an extra unused foot of extension.

Tim:

The Deardorff V11 front rails are 1 9/16" wide and have a metal side plate affixed to it that has the drive gears along the bottom of the wooden rail for forward and rearward motion. This metal plate has flush mount screw driven into the side plate and adds structural stability to the rail. This front rail is 3/4" thick. The real rails are the same proportions. Let me know if you needs pics or have other questions. I use a 35" Red Dot in Ilex #5 with the V11 and it handles it with ease.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim k View Post
    Jim, thats reassuring, if I understand it right, with your 12" lens focused 1:1 with 36" bellows you still have an extra unused foot of extension.
    Tim, that is right. I just use a lens that will give me what I need as far as close ups go. I love shooting close up with ULF.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim k View Post
    Ian, its going to be triple (the bed plus front and rear sliding rails). Three is only one more set of rails, doesn't seem like much more work. Its the same design as the 4x5 that I built.
    Makes sense to use an extension rail. The issue then is making bellows that don't sag, and 2 or 3 ring tabs can help enormously.

I'm about to make a set of large bellows for a De Vere Monorail and looked how the originals were made, as well as those on my two Agfa Ansco 10x8's as all have very minimal sag. While the stiffeners on the original De Vere bellows are quite thin it uses three cloth layers this seems to give the additional stiffness preventing sag, the original bellows would have been made by Camera Bellows - now Custom Bellows in Birmingham, UK.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Michael, thanks for the sizes. I'm a little surprised, in the pictures I've seen they don't look that big. In my design they were going to be quite a bit smaller than that. I think I'm going to do a little upgrading, based on your suggestion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin