Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,935   Online: 785

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

What do you guys carry your cameras in?

My 11x14 project is starting to look a little bit like a camera now. And it just occurred to me I have no idea whatsoever what to put it in to protect it while schlepping it around.

I found a nice little kids insulated soft sided lunch box for the 4x5, but thats not going to work for the 11x14. I read the suggestion that David made a few threads down, but I don't think I'm going to be spending that kind of money, although it looked like a nice solution.

I'm not looking for a backpack, thats another issue. So what do you guys use?

Thanks
    Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer a backpack to a shoulder bag, especially if the equipment is large of heavy. A backpack allows the weight to be transferred to the hips and it balances the load on the back. I like the Tamrac 750 and 752 top loading backpack. But since you do not want a backpack, a wheeled camera case may fit the bill. Of course a wheeled camera case is not great on a trail.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have gone with backpacks (up to 8x10), but for a 11x14, perhaps a wheeled hardcase piece of luggage? Of course, wheeling a big piece of luggage around town might get some strange looks. A line from a short story that sticks in my head -- "Daddy? Is that man homeless?" "No, Honey, that is a man with problems."

Richard Ritter in his instruction video for his 7x17 camera suggests a large suitcase (his was soft-sided). I have one (7x17) on loan and am using the cardboard box my iMac came in -- it even has a very substantial handle. Camera fits in perfectly along with a holder -- I'll have to have the lens and etc's in a daypack. I just won't be using the box once the rains start!

And there is always the baby buggy route (larger wheeled jogger style).
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The biggest question is exactly to where do you intend to schlep it? Imagine your destination(s) then procure your conveyance(s).
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys, I'm not asking about what to carry it in when I'm shooting, that I think would be a backpack or buggy of some sort. But rather just to protect it around the house, in and out of the car and while traveling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    try a pelican/storm case. with the non-foam dividers. I've seen a butt-load on craigslist lately. bought a few the other day for a song . a tad scratched and rubbed, but will give many, many years of faithful servitude

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Daniel, I suppose a Pelican would be just about the best protection there is.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My 14x17 came with a really nice Tenba padded air shipping bag that fits it and a Saitta film holder bag with three holders.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Whatever you put it in, then get a three-wheel jogging style baby stroller to push all the gear around instead of schlepping it on your back and shoulders.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    Whatever you put it in, then get a three-wheel jogging style baby stroller to push all the gear around instead of schlepping it on your back and shoulders.

You have that right, I've finally come to terms with the idea of a stroller/cart/buggy etc. after the last trip with my 8x10.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin