Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,022   Online: 794

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 11x14 project

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is just something special to the feel of hand rubbed wood.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Tim, I know what you mean about the feel of hand rubbed wood. Let me know how things are going and get some pictures up when you can.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Life has been getting in the way lately, so I have not made much progress. I'm thinking that I need to get the bellow going next, and I did actually go into a fabric store the other day. Its funny how the little old ladies check you out when your getting on their turf.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Goofey idea or interesting idea, genuis or just plain nuts?

Well, I've made a little progress. The bellows are almost on, I've picked up a couple of lenses, and the lens boards are ready to go. So now I'm starting to think about the backside.

Feel free to tell me if you think this is a stupid idea.

A few weeks ago I had a chance to play with an old wooden folder where the rotating back was held on by the four pins, and spring clips that slipped over the pins. I was impressed with how easily the back went on and off.

So I'm thinking, this is easier than inserting a film holder in a spring back. Here's the idea. No spring back, no traditional film holders. The ground glass just comes off after focusing. (I'm planing on some sort of Plexiglas for breakage issues.)

Then build a few double sided film holders that attach to the same pins that hold on the ground glass frame. I've got an idea in my head that should be rather easy to do. The film holders are basically 16 1/2 inches square, with magnetic masks to hold the film in place. They could be used to hold any size sheet film, with just a mask change. I should be able to almost hold 14x17, with 11x14 being the intended size. And they should be easier to load than standard holders. They would be a touch thicker, and of course larger than standard holders.

So what do you all think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the idea of multiple formats. Yes that sounds really interesting. I'd love to see some bellows pictures and a description of your approach.

I'm at the stage were you were when you posted the picture. I have a bellows and back to do.

Great work Tim

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Curt,
    Here are a couple of shots I took with my phone. Don't expect much. I just wanted them for a reference, should I need them later.

What I did;
    The ones that look like abstracts are after the ribs were glued to the liner. I used a .012 thick fabric I found at JoAnn fabrics. It was black with a shiny vinyl coating, it was also almost light tight. The ribs were just photo paper, Ilford rc I think. For the exterior I used a very dense fake suede material, it was something like .009 thick. Both of the layers sealed the light tight deal just fine.

What I did wrong;
    If I were going to do this again, I would use a little thicker rib material. I was worried that with all the folds the thing wouldn't fold up in the camera, so I was trying to keep everything as thin as possible. On paper it added up to something just under two inches. However with the taper in the bellows it folded into pretty much nothing, about an inch. The material I used on the outside, while (in my mind) looked good, it was a stretchy material. Didn't notice it when I purchased it, but it was a serious pain to glue the inner assy. to the outer skin. I'm not so sure I would have made the bellows so long either. My pattern just barley fit on 54" fabric. I will however be able to shoot fly teeth at 1:1.

The last picture is how it sits this morning. In all its glory, wax paper ground glass and all.

If you have autocadd I'd be happy to send you my bellows layout.

Good luck with yours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0164.jpg   IMAG0165.jpg   IMAG0169.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Tim, that is looking awesome! Nice going.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim k View Post
    Curt,
    Here are a couple of shots I took with my phone. Don't expect much. I just wanted them for a reference, should I need them later.

What I did;
    The ones that look like abstracts are after the ribs were glued to the liner. I used a .012 thick fabric I found at JoAnn fabrics. It was black with a shiny vinyl coating, it was also almost light tight. The ribs were just photo paper, Ilford rc I think. For the exterior I used a very dense fake suede material, it was something like .009 thick. Both of the layers sealed the light tight deal just fine.

What I did wrong;
    If I were going to do this again, I would use a little thicker rib material. I was worried that with all the folds the thing wouldn't fold up in the camera, so I was trying to keep everything as thin as possible. On paper it added up to something just under two inches. However with the taper in the bellows it folded into pretty much nothing, about an inch. The material I used on the outside, while (in my mind) looked good, it was a stretchy material. Didn't notice it when I purchased it, but it was a serious pain to glue the inner assy. to the outer skin. I'm not so sure I would have made the bellows so long either. My pattern just barley fit on 54" fabric. I will however be able to shoot fly teeth at 1:1.

The last picture is how it sits this morning. In all its glory, wax paper ground glass and all.

If you have autocadd I'd be happy to send you my bellows layout.

Good luck with yours.
    Hi Tim,

I've been under the weather for a few weeks but I've been following the threads on my iPhone. I have a bellows drawn in my Cad program and have made one in the past. For that one I used XRay film for the ribs and it turned out to be a little thicker than necessary. I used fabric at the time from the fabric shop and 77n spray adhesive and contact cement. I'm lucky to have purchased two large pieces of the bellow material that Porter's camera had before they quit selling it. Too bad because many would appreciate having a supply in the west.

My camera is using the base of a Kodak 2D but built from there up. With film holders going for $345 new I'm forced by choice to go with my own build on them too. If I go at it I'm not going to be happy with one or two holders. That would be fine for a home setting but why drive out to a location and be forced to load in a tent or do without.

I was thinking that the double sided holders was the way to go but what's the matter with single sided holders. A dozen would be about right. I was thinking about what you said about alternative holder designs. I am thinking of ordering some 10X12 film from the Ilford special order. A 10X12 would fit on an 11x14 sheet of paper for Carbon Transfer which needs a safe edge.

The wood workers store has some really strong magnets, small but very strong, they sell them in sets as catches for cabinets. I was going to try a setup with them to see if they have the holding power. In the mean time I've worked out the routine, regular holder design. I may be short on metal working machinery but I'm long on woodworking tools.

I have an older but new like Sterling holder, the double glass type, and measured the slides, Garolite, and figured the configuration by dissembling an older 5x7 holder. It's precision woodworking but not rocket science.

Your camera is looking excellent, I used brass for the hardware on mine to match the original parts but on a future 11x14 model desgin like yours I'm thinking of aluminum with a powder coat. It's lighter than brass. I can't wait to get back to work on mine. It does take time to get these together.

I'm making a spring back because I have the ground glass and springs for an 11x14 already here.

Best,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Tim,
    I have viewed the link and your support, Well done to you and the encouragement given. I'm planing to modify a back and have new bellows to suit my cambo scx. I'm thinking of 11x14 or even 16x20. Good luck and I will wish all goes well, I do know as others the frustration of such tasks.
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin