Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,477   Online: 1045

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 11x14 project

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Pat,
    Things are progressing, a little bit slow, but still moving forward. The back is pretty much done, and I was able to put her on the tripod and have a look see a couple of days ago.

Here are a few things that I have noticed, what you guys told me about depth of field, well, its pretty much true. Focusing doesn't seem as critical as the 4x5, seems to move in and out of focus slower if that makes any sense. And my old dark cloth looks so cute hanging over this buggar. Guess I need to upgrade.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow... using plans or building as you go?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    Wow... using plans or building as you go?
    I'm pretty much making things up as I go. Pictures on the web, and the advice I've been getting here, have been keeping me in between the lines. (I hope.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That bellows making looks interesting. I built a sailboat from scratch, (10 year project) but had the sails made, I don't think I would have the patience to fold bellows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bsysm6.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The folding is easy.... if the layout was correct.

I got my first box of Kodak Green 11x14 film, it's 11x14 minus 1/32" on each dimension. I'm starting the film holders next, it's going to be work, fine work, fine woodwork to be exact but what the hey.

Bellows length, 24" or 32"? If my patients run out I'll break down and order one; right around $400.00, ouch. Life is short and I must move on though. That's 20 hours of work at $20.00 per hour, if I could make a bellows for $20. an hour and the time to make one is 20 hours. Think one can be made to match the best commercially made bellows in just 20 hours? What's a person's time worth?

Funny thing, 11x14 looks kind of small and 8x10 sheets looks, well, tiny. Oh No!

Tim, is there any part of your project that you won't be making?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt, you want 32' for the bellows. It is nice to have the extra length. BTW for any of you building 11x14's or looking for holders I have two to sell. Send me a PM if interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Curt, if 11x14 looks tiny, I'm afraid your toast. Just as well start planing the next step up.

I've probably got 10-15 hours in my bellows, and perhaps 30-40 dollars. But I rather enjoy the project and satisfaction of doing it myself. I guess thats my rationalization for having more time than money.

For what its worth, my plan "A" was to build everything but the gears and knobs. I've started on the holders. My idea might not work out, but I'm going to try it anyway. Worst case is do a spring back and spring for a thousand bucks worth of store bought holders. Jim, I might be PMing. I'll post a pic or two of the holders when I get something together.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tim, I'm going with 32" for the bellows, my material will make a 36" with over lap so 32" will be fine. I'm trying hard not to buy ready-made products too. If I built it by buying new parts then I might as well buy a factory made camera.

I'm lucky to have some old wood holders, one taken apart which I've examined throughly and two 11x14 "glass plate" holders. When I got the film yesterday I measured it and then dropped it right into the plate holder and it's a dead ringer for the the glass. I'm sure it will be a challenge but I have the facilities to work at will and the motivation to do the work. I just put in an order for the materials needed for the light traps, slides and septum's. I was thinking of making single sheet holders but I'm heading for the double sided ones.

It's going to take some time to make them and I have no illusions as to the complexity involved.

Thanks Jim for the offer, how's the 14X17 working out for you? Got them hangers made yet? I check last night to see how the film handles. When dry it's fine but when it's wet it's susceptible to scratches and scrapes. I did a job on one just to see. With care it's OK though. I've wasted a couple of sheets but at 50 cents a sheet there's no lost sleep. I've got 98 left in the box, better order some more.

Back to the salt mine.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I'm lucky to have some old wood holders, one taken apart which I've examined throughly
    Curt
    Curt, Any chance you have a picture or two of the light traps in those holders?
    My prototype holder is pretty much done, except for the light traps. I have a plan, but it wouldn't hurt to get some more ideas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is what I'm using as a basis for my design of the light traps. These digital photographs are of a 5x7 wooden holder that I had sitting around and it has one piece of brass with a finger / comb piece on top of it and all covered with some felt like material.

I'm going to use one piece of brass shim stock covered with velvet like the wood holder shows in configuration. The brass wraps around the holder and is continuous from one side to the other. There is a wood piece on top of it where the locking screws are attached into. So there are two pieces of wood. One has an opening for the septum plus film and has a surface that is even to the dark slide plane; it has a recesses on both sides for the velvet light trap to go into when the slide is inserted. The top piece is thicker at the bottom where it sits on the light trap. The trap brass/velvet is not glued to the holder and stays in place because it is wrapped over the wood and held down by the top piece and a cover is place over it.

The old manufacturers, designer, inventors spent a lot of time work to make this design. I have a holder made, it's made of mahogany pieces that I had in the shop. I've made my septum groove 1/8" and the dark slide 1/16" but I'm going to make a septum groove 1/16" on the first 'real' holder to exact size.

My first model is a size of 5x9 inches, there isn't a film size for it, it's to see if I could actually get the holders made and to experiment on the assembly and procedure before I make a set of them.

I found that Garolite XX cuts very smooth on my Powermatic 66 cabinet saw with a fine tooth carbide blade, no problems with that. I bought a 1/16" four wing carbide shaper cutter for my Powermatic 27 shaper. It's like cutting through butter. I got some new DeStaCo clamps for a custom cutting platform jig.

I have an excellent planer and a Uniplaner so surfacing the stock isn't a problem. What I thought was hard is easier and what I thought was going to be easy is a bit harder.

This week I'm going over to get the cherry stock that I'm going use for the holders. My plan is to make 6, then make a second run of 6 for a total of 12 11x14 holders. Believe me I've spent many many evening with a caliper pencil and paper going over all the materials and dimensions. There are some things that became apparent with a mock-up that just isn't apparent when drawing them on paper. I did some work on cad but I'm not going to spend months with drawings when I have already made one and now can see how it's done.

My suggestion is to make a model, mock-up, what ever you want to call it and see how it works. Originally I was going to make a single side holder but I slowly realized that what came before me was what I was slowly modifying my holders to. I figured that I was trying too hard to reinvent the basic film holder. I'm making double side holders.

I hope you can read this as I've just returned from the North Cascades National Park. I've been house bound and it was nice to get out. I saw some things I want to photograph with a large format camera. I have 100 sheet box of Kodak green 11x14 film here and that's what I'll probably use for the most part. I will use some regular film too later on.

Curt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5x7 film holder disassembly 004.jpg   5x7 film holder disassembly 006.jpg   5x7 film holder disassembly 008.jpg  

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin