Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,007   Online: 964

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 11x14 project

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Curt, thanks for the pictures. That was a quick reply. The pictures help out a lot, actually seeing what someone has previously worked out.

Here are a couple of shots I took with my phone. One is gluing the exterior frame, the other is how I cut my grooves for the dark slides and septum. I'll get some more current pics soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails holder_frame.jpg   IMAG0183.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tim that's excellent, using what's available and the right jig is the key. I'll post some pic's of mine soon. I've taken this as a challenge and it takes camera building to a new height. The design and planning stage is always longer but worth the effort.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Images
    Hey Tim, What type of saw blade is that in number 2? What is turning it? I've never seen anything like that. Looks mighty handy.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mark, its a slitting saw, usually used on metal. They come in all sorts of different thicknesses. The machine is a mill drill. This is not mine, (much too clean) I snatched the picture on line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mill drill.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tim, I'm rechecking my design of the light trap. Upon careful examination and with some thought I figured out what the combed brass does. I had just laid down to sleep and it popped into my head. I thought the second layer of brass which is not connected to the larger brass strip just added some increased force to the set but suddenly I thought that if that's so then why not use a stiffer or heavier single layer. The combed brass strip work like this. When the dark slide is inserted the larger brass bends down and as the slide is inserted the combed brass pushes up behind it making not only one contact point but a plane of contact. It's easy to see this happen when the cover plate is off. It's a very cleaver invention, someone or some people knew how to design and manufacture back then.

So does it have to be combed or can it be a straight piece. It would take days to cut one in the combed configuration. I'll have to recheck this. I think the combed design provides even more independent pressure so if a change in the slides straightness is encountered the comb will compensate. It's a very nice design. The velvet or felt material has to be attached to the underside of the larger brass and not to the top of either.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post

It would take days to cut one in the combed configuration. I'll have to recheck this. I think the combed design provides even more independent pressure so if a change in the slides straightness is encountered the comb will compensate.

Curt
    I think your absolutely correct about the even pressure on a curved surface. I think it could be cut rather quickly if you have a box joint jig. Just screw your thin piece of brass between two pieces of wood, then run the whole thing thru the jig. The only issue I see is getting a thin blade. Here is a link to the type of jig I'm talking about. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDgQ9QEwAQ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've completed my prototype 11x14 film holder, at least far enough to start planning the set I need. I've made mistakes along the way but in return I gained a full understanding of the operation of a light tight holder.

Curt

My camera is only partly completed however. Now I want a better camera so I have to burn the midnight oil on the design. That's ULF, help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Curt, thats good to hear. I've got my first holder done as well, Actually I'm far enough along to actually expose a piece of film. The camera is about 90% done and my holder is 99.3% functional. I'll get some pictures up soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ta-Da

Its been done for a while. I've just been lazy about getting a picture to upload.

I've shot a couple of paper negatives, and go figure, it works.

Film is in the brown truck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11x14 (1 of 1).jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	358.6 KB 
ID:	41878

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thats nice !
    Congratulations with the finished project, whats next ?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin